Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Lift Bead Buster

Default Hi-Lift Bead Buster

I saw a little snippet in JP about this product and looked it up.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/index....id=187377.6356

Looks like it would be pretty easy to make. I can see myself buiding one of these too. Especially after Koobster, Agengr and I wrestled with and broke Koobsters Hi-Lift while changing the tube on my XZL at the Texas FE. This would have made it a lot easier.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I'm not sure I get how it works. Upside down on the rim, under the hy-lift?

Click on the small pic,upside down is how it goes.

I'm assuming you were trying to break the bead on the stock military split rims?

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    I'm assuming you were trying to break the bead on the stock military split rims?
    No bead to break bro,stock that is.

You have to go around and break the bead off of the ring, in order to remove the ring. I was wondering if that is what they meant when they were talking about trying to break their bead.

That is correct. The stock rims you have to break the bead to push the sidewall of the tire down far enough to get the ring off. A duck-billed hammer will also accomplish this task but takes up a little more room on the truck.

I suppose I needed to add some words to go along with the picture. You bolt the above pictured plate to the bottom of your Hi-Lift. You then set the Hi-Lift over the bead of the tire. Then using something heavy like the front bumper of your M715. Use the Hi-Lift to push the bead down.

A regular Hi-Lift can be used if you put the base on the tire, put pressure on it and then use a BFH to knock the base up against the rim can and keep pushing down until the bead drops off the lock ring enough to remove it. You normally have to work your way around a tire at 3-4 inch intervals several times to get it all the way off the ring. This takes about 3-5 minutes per push and lots of hammer swinging. It took 3 of us about 1 hour to break down my XZL on a stock rim at the 2006 Texas FE. I had cleaned the rims and painted them in March. I put the new tubes on with lots of tire lubricant in April. The flat happened in October. Rusted or long seated tire/tube sets will be harder.

Kwai is right, a Duck billed hammer is the perfect tool for this. I just don't want to spend $90 on one when I can use the HI-LIft I already have. Especially when I can weld up the above item out of scrap metal I have sitting around the house in an hour or so.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yeah, I was just going to say also that a duck billed hammer is the perfect tool for taking apart the split rims. If your concerned about space, and finding the hammer, then that hi-lift buster looks like it will work. I didn't have much success with getting beads off with the highlift, but my duck billed hammer can take a bead off very easily with only going around the tire once. I carry a little bit of soap, the hammer, and a couple small pry bars in case I ever need to take a part one of my split rims in the field.

I could make and sell these for $21.50 plus shipping if anyone is interested. I will have them powdercoated black or red to match the Hi/Lift.