Thread: Steering Column Parts

Default Steering Column Parts

Hey Guys,
    I'm new to forum, I know there is a bunch of old threads on this topic...I was reading through them prior to this post. This being said all the threads I found are pretty old so I wanted to see if there is any updated information from you guys on this. I am looking to rebuild my stock steering column. I believe I just need an upper and lower bearing and whatever retainers go with them. That's the other issue, can someone send me a picture of these areas on the column so I can see the parts? I have the 2d exploded diagram of everything but there isn't much detail. I'm asking because my column shaft has a ton of play back and forth so I'm not certain if something is missing or just warn out. What suppliers do you guys recommend these days for these parts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hi and welcome

Here is a photo of my steering column ready to be reassembled with several NOS parts.

The upper white plastic bearing retainer (on left) holds a ball bearing assembly that looks like it came out of a bicycle, LOL. It also holds the horn contact ring.

The bottom bearing (on right) is made out of the same white plastic/nylon material (no ball bearing down there) Mine had worn out badly because the steering shaft was rusty in that area, and it ground up the plastic.

Both of those parts, I bought from Vintage Power Wagons, but that was five years ago. Worth a call though. Or try Memphis Equipment.

I can't remember what takes up the end play. I think the spring has something to do with that. maybe Geeze it's only been 5 years and can't remember
    Last edited by jeepdan; September 12th, 2019 at 12:19 AM.

What great documentation pics and info you keep providing...thank you for being such a big help to others!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    What great documentation pics and info you keep providing...thank you for being such a big help to others!
    Thanks I really enjoy it though.
    I'm just so glad that I had the foresight to take photos along the way.

This winter when I have more free time, I would like to rewrite my truck's restoration thread complete with the old photos that Photobucket killed.
    Last edited by jeepdan; September 12th, 2019 at 09:14 AM.

That would be amazing!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!