Thread: 1100 spare mounting

Default 1100 spare mounting

I have been inspired by another Zone member who mounted 1100R16 spare tire in the stock location see: fisherman : Xl spare tire mounting with pictures

I did a bit of measuring an I think that I can just drill the rivets out on the stock tubular support, slide it forward and weld it in place to accommodate a 1100R16 spare. It looks like if I need a bit more room, I can use a die grinder to remove about one inch of mounting plate that the tubular support is welded to. I'll give it a try tomorrow and post pics.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by brute4c; December 3rd, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

That was my post on the mod. I wanted to be able to fit a 40 inch tire in there. The way your thinking I think will work for an xl. Who knows mine may end up with a spring over and 40 inch tires. Only wanted to do it once. Glad I could offer up some tech. Good Luck Fisherman

kudos for the great idea. I will stick with XL's so all I need is 39" room

Default Modification finished with photos

Here is a photo of the round support with the rivets drilled out in it's stock location:

Here is the support moved forward:

I also had to trim the pintle hitch bolt a bit. I made a total of 39" of room for the 1100r16 spare. The other side of the nut has a spot weld to keep it from spinning loose:

Here is the finished support. Total time from start to cleanup, three hours:

Really was a pretty easy modification. The finished clearance is a bit tight but tire fits well. Sorry no photo, could not bench press the spare and take a picture.

Did you modify the stops on the bottom side of the bed? I am going to do that when I put the bed back on, and install a cable hoist along with a modified stock spare tire sling so it all looks factory. Glad that little bit made room for the xl. Nice pics.

I have not modified the stops. What would the purpose of modifying them be?

Thumbs up

How much did you lengthen the tire carrier? I assume the tire has plenty vertical room. This is a mod I would like to do when I get my truck on the road.

I haven't done any other mods than what is shown by the photos. I have physically lifted the spare into the space and it fits. I haven't "affixed" the spare into the space with all of the hardware.
    My truck has plenty of vertical room due to a spring over lift in the front and 4" lift in the back. The tire will not get in the way of anything in my truck. In stock configuration, I am not sure.

There are two stops attatched to the bottom of the bed that the spare snugs up against. I was going to cut them off and shorten them so the spare will tuck up almost or all the way against the bottom of the bed. This will allow a stock height truck to have more clearance between the ground and the newly mounted spare tire. I will also bolt on a cable hoist to lift the tire straight up to this new position. I have the stock spare tire sling, I am going to modify or lengthen it with a piece cut from another factory sling, in essence lengthen it but make it look factory. Because I have installed a receiver hitch I will move the mounting bolt to the back side of the frame instead of the mounting bolt going up into the frame. It will generally appear stock. Unless you crawl under and really start looking. With the spring over you probably have no need to shorten the factory spare tire stops on the bottom of the bed. I just wanted to allow more clearance so as to not see the new large xl hanging down any when viewed from the rear of the vehicle. Hope that answered your question.

Sure did. Thanks for the info