Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont forget to lube your steering box guys

Default Dont forget to lube your steering box guys

Just a fyi that 99% of folk do not do. lube there steering box ! guys if your running the stock steering box bet you havent done maint. on it have ya ? well heres the proper lube for it. penrite steering box lube. made just for manuel old style gear boxes. you,ll be amazed at how much better your truck steers when the box is lubed !!!!
    morgan

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...id_products=90

I had a VERY hard time getting to the steering box to get the lube in...how did you accomplish it?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

i took the box off. alot easier.you know I bet chain saw bar lube would also do it also but us guys in the north would suffer in the cold months

Taking it off was the only thing that I could figure out too...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

It is possible to remove the fill plug with the steering box still in the vehicle. But it takes some effort, I think I did it using only a wrench.

The tricky part is adding the oil. And for that you will need to insert a small piece of flexible hose into the fill hole and then attach a funnel at the other end.

Steering box lube is so thick it will not go thru a hose

I tried a wrench and even a crescent wrench and couldnt get mine off.... course mine could have beed tweaked a little or something...it is in a tight spot there...

While going through the front end, I replaced the steering box with one from
    AB Linn. From the maintenance chart I filled it with GO 90wt. then installed it.
    Would say that given the hassle of trying to service it and how 'cheap' NOS boxes can be had. One is further ahead to get a new one, service it and install it.

Quote Originally Posted by 67U20 View Post
    While going through the front end, I replaced the steering box with one from
    AB Linn. From the maintenance chart I filled it with GO 90wt. then installed it.
    Would say that given the hassle of trying to service it and how 'cheap' NOS boxes can be had. One is further ahead to get a new one, service it and install it.
    That's exactly what I did.
    A NOS box from AB Linn, and then filled with 90w gear oil as per lube chart.

I didn't think to check the steering gear for proper adjustment before installing it.
    What is the likelyhood that the new box wasn't adjusted during manufacture?
    I have been debating whether to go to the trouble to remove it, so that I can put a torque wrench on it.

Default No problems

I used a very long combination wrench. Flipping from end to end. That is the easy part or at least it was for me. Then for lubing everything on these trucks, including the steering box, I bought a manual oil pump with a hose with a metal "hooked" end. Someone hand pumps for you while you crawl under and guide it. Works for the transfer case, transmission and both differentials also. Pumps both light and heavy oils and lubes and is not expensive. Also needed for both my farm tractors when you have to change 20 gallons of hydraulic oils and pump them in a small space!!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQUR7AodUi8AMw
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era