Thread: Light control unit

Default Light control unit

On the last night of cruise nights my unlock switch control handle went limp. Lights still go on and off by flipping the upper switch, but it bugs me the bottom right switch isn't controlling the light switch above it.
    Is this fixable or do I need to get a whole new unit?
    Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have been following your cruise-night pictures closely.
    '
    I'm suprised that even a 48 year old light switch handle would go limp.

I guess I'm just jealous.

Sounds like you need a new switch to me...I have been in a couple of those switches...Id say its not good....

There is a flat metal tab that goes from the one lever to the other...sounds like it is now mobile inside the switch and just might connect a couple of live things that shouldnt be connected...

Replacement is a prudent option.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks, that's a good point Jon. What is the real purpose of that unlock switch anyway?
    Without it, you can still click the light switches on/off.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I always thought the purpose of the unlock switch was to prevent inadvertent illumination of the headlights during tactical operations. Keeps from giving away your position.????

You can disassemble the switch and replace some of the parts if you are careful.

There is a nice write up about it from Randygar Writeup: Rebuildng a 3-lever switch.

I took my old non working one apart but it was too far gone for me to bother with. The spring that operates the lock lever is still good though. If you decide to try to repair yours and need a new spring let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    I always thought the purpose of the unlock switch was to prevent inadvertent illumination of the headlights during tactical operations. Keeps from giving away your position.????
    That is EXACTLY correct.

What a great write-up on the 3 lever switch control.
    I think my plan is to remove it, open it, and remove the loose piece of spring steel, if in fact that is the problem.
    Purchasing a new one is an option, but my main concern is the color of the new one.
    My truck has that faded O.D. patina and a shiny new 3 lever switch may stand out a little.
    As for operating the lights without the lock switch, I can live with that.
    Another project for this upcoming winter season.

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    What a great write-up on the 3 lever switch control.
    I think my plan is to remove it, open it, and remove the loose piece of spring steel, if in fact that is the problem.
    Purchasing a new one is an option, but my main concern is the color of the new one.
    My truck has that faded O.D. patina and a shiny new 3 lever switch may stand out a little.
    As for operating the lights without the lock switch, I can live with that.
    Another project for this upcoming winter season.
    Mismatched/faded patina is nice however a nice new part says it has been used and maintained rather than let sit and deteriorate

Like Brute said above, you don't want loose metal parts bouncing around inside 24 volt parts. You can burn your truck right up if you aren't careful. Disconnect your batteries and get it replaced or fixed.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13