Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic pump off tansmission pto?

Default Hydraulic pump off tansmission pto?

So I just wrote a huge novel that I lost so here is the short version. Now that my stock M715 runs and drives great,] I want to expand its role to be a "road tractor" like the CJ-3a "Farm Jeep" but a lot bigger to help with my hay operation. I know this is modification territory, but it will only be additions to the original platform, but move this thread if it doesn't fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm not an expert on hydraulics but I'm hoping someone here is. My dream is to have a hydraulic-drive PTO like this http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraul...9-7368-100.axd and a 3 point hitch running off a big hydraulic pump either on the fanbelt like the small snowplow one I have now, or if need be off the transmission pto which would normally power the winch. I would also like to have hydraulic remotes for operating a dump trailer that so it won't need its own battery, electric motor, and hydraulic pump.

I would prefer the transmission option 1)becuase it would be cool 2) so the pump won't be running/wearing/drawing power 24/7 and 3) so I can stop the PTO by clutching (for safety). 4) more more toque (possibly)

But if the fanbelt option will be a whole lot simpler, I will be happy to take what I can get.

So to clarify
    [IMG][/IMG]

Eventually I would love to make it into something like this video below, which would be a HUGE time saver when loader bales from a field far away as I wouldn't have to have the logistics and expense of having a dedicated loader on site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAPli-pnyVo

As you can see I like machines that do multiple jobs. It's cheaper, logistically easier, there's less to go wrong, if something does go wrong theres flexibility, and it requires less maintenance. Is an otherwise stock M715 up to the task? I'm not in a rush, I just need to know whether this route is worth putting any more thought into.

I figure if this can work, I have potential.

Thanks.

Here is my current pump before the engine was restored for reference

YOU,ll need alot of fluid capacity to keep hyd fluid temps down. 5 gal at least

Thanks, makes sense seeing as a small tractor needs 7 gallons. The main issue is I have no clue what kind of RPM's the Pto puts out

Farm tractor PTO speed is either 560 or 1000. I didn't spend any time searching, but that i probably what the output of s vehicle pto is.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I would be going for 560 at the hydraulic PTO but knowing these trucks the winch PTO speed is proprietary. It would be great if it was 560. The other issue is how many engine RPM's I want to be at to get 560 at the hydraulic PTO. I figure it should be not too far above 2,000 engine RPM's where the toque is at its max. I wouldn't be using anything on the truck that required more than 30 PTO horsepower.

So I basically need to know what RPM's the winch PTO is operating at when at say 2500 engine RMP's. After than I can make all the gearing or hydraulic pump adjustments i want, but I need to know what I'm starting with.

Any winch experts want to chime in? Thanks.

Might be a easier to install a 24v electric hydraulic pump. And then rig your motor to have two 100amp 12v alternators.

That would allow so much more to go wrong though. I have a new 24v 30si alternator that I works perfectly as is. Why have a complicated engine-alternator/battery-electric motor-hydraulic pump instead of just pto-hydraulic pump with an adapter in-between. While the electrical route would require less calculations and fabrication, it would be sacrificing ruggedness and reliability.

MHO, Your pto will easily do what you want, your fabrication skills are your limit. A 1 3/8 six spline farm pto runs 530 rpm. One thing you lack is a governor on the engine to maintain a steady rpm to compensate for the load. Second you need to figure out what your HP requirements are for the implement your using the pto on, that will determine what you need for a pump on the Kaiser end. In reality the hyd remotes and a 3ph are easy, as a governor on the engine is not a must have as your only using it intermittently. The pto complicates things, as you may need a hyd cooler ect. . It may be easier to use a CJ rear pto box and shaft it up to the Kaiser pto, but you would still need a governor on the engine to maintain rpm. That would eliminate a large pump and a possible need for an oil cooler.

Lee

Thanks a bunch, the PTO will really only be used for a tedder (fluffer) that requires 20hp so that isn't a big concern. It rarely gets run at anymore than 400 rpms at the pto though because its such a light duty job. However it would be doing this a lot, for several hours a day for a few weeks out of the year. I have a hand throttle to keep the RPMS steady but a tedder is a very even, predictable and light load so the governor isn't a big concern.

If I could somehow rig a shaft going directly to the rear bumper that would be the best possibility, I just wasn't sure if a gear reduction or increase would be needed to get the right PTO speed at the bumper. I will definitely look into the CJ box, I hear that those go for about $500 though.

I know this is going to be the most complicated fabrication job I have undertaken thus far. However the ability to take the tedder to do fields across town, or in one location I have that is over 10 miles away without needing to trailer the tractor or spend an hour driving the tractor on the road would open up a lot of areas that have been logistically impossible.

The remotes are the second most important, and the 3 point lift is really just a convenience for doing odd jobs that I don't want to haul the tractor for. The tedder just attaches to the drawbar that is fabbed onto my bumper.

Really the bottom line for this project is knowing exactly but the winch PTO puts out.