Thread: Need help with my build

Default Need help with my build

Im in the middle of restoring my M715. I have the 230 pulled out along with the T98. i was gonna go with the novak kit and just marry a 350 to the t98 but after reading several posts, I have decided I would like to go with either the (sbc to nv4500 to a np205) or (sbc to sm465 to a np 205). My questions are: Can I just get any np205 I find and just mount it up with slight modification? I guess what I'm asking is, if you pull one from a chevy, will it be different than one from a ford or dodge? What should I look for in finding one? I have the same question about the Nv4500, does it matter what model or make i get this from? Any specific one I should try and find? I hope this makes sense to you guys. thanks in advance

yes it matters which one you get. They all need to have the same bolt pattern and spline count. Im not up to date on all the years and splines to tell you which to get.

Research specifically what you want and you will find the answers, it will require lots of reading.

Do not forget your secondary brake!
    Wolf

CRNA
    Why did you decide to go for NV4500 or SM465 instead of the stock T98 ?

I did the SBC-SM 465-NP205 on my first truck. I always wished I'd gone for the NV4500 because of the overdrive. It makes it more road friendly without needing to mess with the axles.
    The easiest way is to find a donor vehicle with the set up already together, like say an old 4wd chevy truck or such. That way you will have all the little pieces you may need for the mod.
    You may want to sell your original drivetrain to offset the expense of the new components.
    Good luck.

I wanted the overdrive that comes with the nv4500. I live near the interstate and take short on and off interstate routs every now and then. Its nice to have. I will say that I wish I went with a larger motor than a 350. Not quite enough power for me.

going nv4500 will only give you about 5mph more. you really neeed 4:56 gears and the nv4500 jmo
    m

With the addition of the 350, nv4500, and michelin xzl tires, It added 14 more mph top speed. Not sure how much the nv4500 had to do with this but all this has been added to mine so the added mph is a fact not an opinion. I know the tires help also.

Well, just how fast do you want to go? You need to think about steering, suspension, brakes and a lot of other factors too.

All these issues need attention before you try to make this a highway cruiser. Yes, you can get it to go 70 but it has the aerodynamics of a coke machine above 50-60mph.

I for one can live with 45 as a top speed (maybe 50 in short bursts). Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
    With the addition of the 350, nv4500, and michelin xzl tires, It added 14 more mph top speed. Not sure how much the nv4500 had to do with this but all this has been added to mine so the added mph is a fact not an opinion. I know the tires help also.
    Just another data point: mine with a 351/e4od/4.10s/37s has done 80 all day cross country. Dunno about top speed- I don't need to go any faster than that in a dumpster.