Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspector markings compilation

Default Inspector markings compilation

I'm going to put together a compilation of inspector marks that I have found on my truck.
    This might be a good sticky. I encourage anyone else to contribute what you have found.

Here are the latest marks, that I found during cleaning.
    The "OK" looks to be in pink. The two "X's" were faint white (I traced over them with soap stone, so they would come out clear in the photo).

A number "10" in white, on the firewall.

This brings up an interesting discussion. What exactly did the government do for inspections during M715 production? Since this was the first army truck based on a civilian model did they only inspect final assemblies? Or did they do periodic inspections on a lot size of component?

I assume at the very least there was a government inspector at the end of the assembly line who would periodically pull a truck off the line and check it for function and measure how much it weighs and verify the overall dimensions were correct. And all this would be recorded on an inspection check sheet.

But more likely the check sheet was more involved. It probably had them checking the battery with a hydrometer, a pull test on the wire connections, air pressure in the tires, oil levels, count that all the lug nuts were there, time how long it takes to start and for the gages to register, etc.

And there was probably a similar type of inspection done at the different plants that supplied the engine, the transmission, the axles and the transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNeutron View Post
    And there was probably a similar type of inspection done at the different plants that supplied the engine, the transmission, the axles and the transfer case.
    When I worked at the steel plant for 19 years, there were government inspectors looking at anything that was to be used in assembly of anything the government was buying. We made nuts, bolts, rivets and all kinds of cold and hot forgings. Components that were destined for aircraft were super inspected and tracked from billets to completion with tons of paper work.

So, I do know we made fasteners for Jeep as some that I removed during my restoration had our head stamp on them.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

That's pretty cool. It's nice to see one original enough to still have those markings.

I seen some odd marks on my frame on the back passenger corner I'll see if I can get a pic of them

I have a few that I have kept a record of.

Light blue for the u-joint caps and green for the pinion nut.

On my rear frame rails I found a part number for the frame on both sides

I need to dig around for the others.....since it's been over 2 years since I've even touched the truck until recently.

Thanks SAC, I caught a glimpse of a number in that same location while sandblasting my truck's frame. But, it was too late to record it by that time

I'm going to use your picture as a guide, and have a stencil made of that number to place on my frame, thanks.

I see from one of your earlier posts, that the number is 943863.

Dave (Beast), By using this picture, can you make up a paint stencil of this number for us?