Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: belt pulley alignment problems (w/ pictures) - HELP!!!!

Default belt pulley alignment problems (w/ pictures) - HELP!!!!

Went tonight to install the 28VDC 60 Amp alternator and the belts... Not happening. The belts aren't aligning up with all three pulleys (Main crank, water pump and alternator). Appears the the water pump and main crank pulleys are perfect. The problem exists with the alternator pulley. It's like the individual belt v grooves aren't aligning. The spacing is all wrong.

When I bought the truck, the belts seems likr they weren't aligning correctly and squealed like a mashed cat.

Is it possible that my alternator is from a different application???? Maybe incorrect pulley is attached to it?

Belt closest to the fan blade seems to be aligned to track perfectly. Other 2 belts... not so much.

Anyone seen this before?

Advice greatly appreciated. - Dave

Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Looks close enough. For government work.

Your pullys look like they are painted, that might explain the squealing. Or you might try removing the one that is making the noise. My truck only had 2 belts on it when I got it and they seem to work fine. I figure the 3 belt setup is only needed if you plan on fording rivers.

I have a stock 230 Tornado in my truck. I've noticed that the two front belts seem to be at a little bit of an angle. The crank pulley seems as if it's not pressed on all the way, but the pulley is on very tightly and I've never had any problems with it at all. Although, tonight for the first time, my belts seem to be making a little noise. Any suggestions?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Good morning everyone. After a little research, I think I have the wrong pulley on the alternator. Notice the gap between the first and second belts on the water pump pulley and main crank pulley? Now look at that gap on the alternator pulley.

Looks like I will have to find the correct pulley Anyone have one laying around they wish to part with or have a good source for them? I may have to call VPW on Monday and explain my issue and send them a e-mail with this picture to help explain my problem.

Thanks, Dave-
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Dave, I just took this picture for you. Notice that the pulleys do have different spacing. The front belt is farther away from the second belt. The third belt groove is closer. The water pump and crank pulley agree with this setup.

Note that on my truck, the third or rear belt is missing. The reason is that my water pump pulley has a chunk out of it and it would tear up the third belt. Believe me, those two belts do not slip!

It may be difficult to see, but if you look carefully, you can clearly see a different spacing. I had never looked at that before and I have to agree with you.

I can not get Photobucket to work with my Windows 8... so I can not post my installation pictures
    It appears there are several different pulley configurations (3 & 4 grove and grove spacing))out there.
    My water pump is a 3 grove pulley as is the crank pulley, they are in alignment. However the gene 3 grove pulley does not line up. So the first/front grove is not used on the crank and pump and the last/back grove on the gene is not used. This gives me a two belt drive with the groves that do line up.
    I did try to reverse the gene pulley to see if the all 3 groves would line up. No go, the pulley bottomed out against the front of the gene housing before it would seat on the shaft.

Dave, I noticed your gene/alt looks different from others posted, I.E. Dons Prestolite. Yours? Mine is the same as Dons, Prestolite and pulley. Though my water pump pulley is a 3 grove. Your gene pulley groves are equally spaced while Dons and mine have the off set or wider spacing on the one belt. Yes, perhaps if the pulley can be changed over to 'our' types your issue will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by 67U20 View Post
    I can not get Photobucket to work with my Windows 8... so I can not post my installation pictures...

email the picture to me and I will post it for you. My email is: don underscore kv at verizon dot net. If you have problems with that, send me a pm and I will give you a link to my email I have been getting inundated with spam lately with the verizon email.

Ihave this same problem and have never found an answer. My generator and pulley came from Boyce equipment.

bet your w/p pulley is pressed on too far.