Thread: Shock Absorbers????

Default Shock Absorbers????

Looked through the archives but didn't notice a subject about the M-715 shock absorbers.

QUESTION- Does anyone know what modern day shocks fit? Preferably ones that look OEM and are black.

I bought a NOS pair off e-bay some time ago and just opened the boxes. Surprise! The original military vapor barrier packaging was missing (re-packaged item I guess) and the shocks weren't much more rust free than the ones on my truck SO, I'm back to square one again.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Dave-
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Hey there Dave.

I found an older thread with "some" information in it for you.
    the latest info is from this year, 2014.

You will have to sort through and decide what is best for you, front, rear, stock or spring over, etc..

Shock Absorbers

Make sure they come with the bushings, before you order.

Let us know what you decide or what anyone else here has used recently as well

I couldn't find anything new, that looked OEM enough for me.

This spring, I bought a pair of rear NOS shocks from Memphis Equipment.
    They were wrapped in that older moisture barrier, and boxed. Dated "74"
    They looked new
    At that time they said they had a large number of them at $35.00 each.

Fronts, I bought off e-bay from Itaylovers. I guess condition on them might be hit or miss. Mine had very light surface rust that needed a light media blast. After painting they look new, with the part numbers and the "Maico" name nice and crisp.

The stock shock is a fluid filled shock with no pressure in it...there are aftermarket ones that work...I used Monroes...I will look for the numbers folks listed in the old days, the are in the old archives I know...that will be tomorrow though...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I was searching the archives earlier looking for shock information, and when I saw some threads concerning modern shocks I took notes.

Rancho shocks (white--would require painting and/or removing the rubber mud boot):

Front: RS9116 or RS9216

Rear: RS9118 or RS9218

There was another thread where a member added a steering stabilizer, seemed to help tighten the handling a bit
    Shock arm RS5403

Brackets RS5512 (I think there were two)

Hope this helps.

I searched and found those number as well...I found my old post but it didnt have the part number I used but it did list how I found them...I went through the Monroe catalog at the store with the known compressed and extended lengths of the stock shocks and the end styles. Came out to be the stock shocks for the Jeep J pickup for that year...under the old Jeep numbering system, I used a J3700 as the model.

I looked at Monroe online and this is what they have listed for that application...the compressed and extended lengths match up:

Front:
    31094 http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/31094
    Upper Mounting Code Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8" Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL
    Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8" Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL
    Compressed Length 13.375"
    Extended Length 23.125"
    Travel Length 9.750"

Rear has 2 choices, a standard, same level as the front one above, and a premium line:

Rear, standard:
    32164 http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/32164
    Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 12MM Sleeve ID X 1.1/2" Sleeve OAL
    Compressed Length 12.840"
    Extended Length 20.380"
    Travel Length 7.540"

Rear, premium:
    34958 http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/34958
    Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.1/2" Sleeve OAL
    Compressed Length 12.625"
    Extended Length 20.375"
    Travel Length 7.750"

They have an online selector by year and model, etc. here:
    http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/

They also have a long list of all their shocks with extended and compressed lengths and other tech info here:

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloa...ifications.pdf

If anyone wants to look for a better fit for the stock truck, though I am confident the above work as I ran those, OR if anyone is looking for a shock for a modified truck, springover, axle swap, etc., that would be a good resource!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The good, the bad and the ugly : )

About Monroe Shocks...

I used them most of my life on everything I've owned.

They have a lifetime warranty.
    Buy them once, when they wear out, get a new one... ( pair )

Thats the problem.... they wear out quick... in my opinion.

The last go around x 4, i kept upgrading in Monroe, each time they would fail... paying the difference to upgrade, and getting a heavier Monroe shock.

After the 3rd time, I was maxxed out and would have had to go to a spring assisted Monroe shock... or switch brands.

Which i did... to Rancho Shocks ( white and red , non air )

Once I did that... it must have been 4 years ago now....
    I've never replaced them again.

I was so impressed with the difference in going from Monroe to Rancho, I went ahead and got a steering stabilizer from them as well.

Nothing since has failed.... so I think I'm sold.

As for the Ugly....

Any of them will need paint. 5 minute ratttttlle can... done.

The only suggestion I can give is, cross reference the Monroes to Rancho, pay the upgrade fee and be done with it.

I also remember putting extra ( black ) wire ties on the rubber dust accordion boots, so i would not have to go back ... and its worked great.

The Black Wire ties have greater UV resistance and strength than the white ones.

Thanks for all of this information.
    Once things settle down in the world,
    New Rancho's will be going on the M715... and probably a stabilizer as well.

"sticky" suggestion !