Thread: Finally Got New Ignitor Installed

Default Finally Got New Ignitor Installed

I've had a NOS ignitor, plugs and wires for some time and today I got it, the new plugs and stock wires put in. Last fall we pulled the oil pump to get proper gear alignment as I was off 90 degrees from the previous owner and wanted the ignitor to be correct. Those "e-bay" plug wire wrenches are crap as you can't get it on the second wire in the pair. The newer plugs are longer and there is no wrench clearance due to the angle. Had to make due with grinding the wrench thinner. Truck fired right up!!

Also was glad I had the military timing light adapter as it works great. I bought that adapter set some years ago also but never used it. I was lucky and the timing was right on without making any adjustments. Not usually the way things go here!
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Good on 'ya Ron! Glad that that new ignitor installed. It no doubt looks better on your truck than on that shelf. When I saw your NOS one on the shelf, "I had to have one" as they say. I have been fortunate that mine works OK. Having an NOS one allowed me to compare the used coil that I got for my ignitor. My truck had the chrome color one in it when I got the truck. Long story short, the coil was failing when hot.

I was able to determine that my NOS ignitor had a coil with the built-in ballast because it would be too tall to fit if the #4 ballast resistor was inside and below.

Nothing wrong with parts functioning as designed and in good condition. When it is stock, the guess work goes away for me. I don't want to be an engineer because I am not trained as such.

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post

I was lucky and the timing was right on without making any adjustments. Not usually the way things go here!
    You deserve that from time to time.

BTW, did your truck have the civilian distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    You deserve that from time to time.

BTW, did your truck have the civilian distributor?
    Yes, it was running on 12 volts for ignition only since I got it. 12 volts was derived by a large edge wound resistor that I calculated and installed (temporary fix) when I converted back to 24 volts. When I got the truck, everything was 12 volts with NO alternator. It ran on two paralleled 12 volt batteries that I assume the PO charged to keep it running. Truck was advertised as all 24 volt. I had to threaten to sue and they sent me all the 24 volt components and $1,000. I converted back to 24 volt during the restoration 6 years ago but just got around to finishing the ignition. I will have two civvy distributors to get rid of. I have another factory rebuilt ignitor also.

The NOS ignitor has the original type coil in it. I think a resistor is in the bottom as the bottom has what looks like epoxy sealing it. Not like the chrome ones that are like a can with a metal bottom.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era