Thread: jerry can holder size

Default jerry can holder size

Hi all, I've been working on the truck, waiting for my gas tank to get back from the radiator shop jail. My can holder obviously has the 4 bolt mount locations. When I go the truck they mounted it on the 2 bottom bolt holes on the truck and 2 top holes on the holder so it sit's a lot lower and is attached by only 2 bolts. I would like to mount it right but it would be impossible with the fuel neck hose. As it is on the bottom it still presses into the bottom of the fuel filler neck. Is my holder wider than usual or what? Any comment s or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks Chris

Mine uses the four holes for mounting. Two in the bed and two underneath it. The filler neck rubber has room to go around it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Yep, that is too low Srpowdercoating.

The footmans loop above the can is also used to secure the can to the holder, and if you mount it that low... its gonna have slack.

Notice the height of the installed can in Scotts pic, and the position of the upper footmans loop.

Raise it up : )

The powdercoating made it too wide...lol ( Jk )
    Looks good... Liquid Glass.

On the "in the bed" side, use some large washers too ...to keep it from pulling the sidewall of the bed under weight stress.
    Last edited by Blitz; May 26th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.

The problem is if i mount it where it should go, it would press into the extremely stiff ex-rubber filler hose by an inch or more.

I just went and measured mine.
    its exactly 14 and 1/2 inches wide at the widest part of the base, measuring from underneath.

Also, the bottom of the can holder is exactly in line , on an even plane, with the bottom of the bed sheet metal.

The "curve" of the can holder does not touch the fuel fill neck until about an inch and a half "out" from the bed sheet metal.

yes , it does touch.
    yes, it does push in on it very very slightly.. but like 1/8th of an inch on the very flexible rubber.

Not an issue.

Mount it even with the bottom of the bed side sheet metal, flush with the bottom edge of the sheetmetal.

lol... and "level".

If You want pics let me know...
    its about to thunderstom here for 4 days.. in like 30 minutes

When You install your filler neck, take some vacume line and split it, to cover that sharp sheet metal edge.

its in the 5/4 quirks manual here in the manuals section.

very very important you do that.

The gerry can holder just does touch the filler neck rubber.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

I measured mine and it's 14 15/16" wide for some reason. I already coated it, so I don't want to bash it in, but I might. Or just drill 4 holes and put it on the passenger side. Thanks for the replies.

B4 you do that....

Put the filler neck in there " temporary like ".

I think you will see that there is more room and flex than you are allowing for "by thought", especially because the curve of the can holder ( The part that touches the filler neck ) does not do that until one and one half inches away from the bed side sheet metal... not right up against the cut hole... ( did that make sense? )

The filler neck goes in at an angle ( see fishtails picture ) and that will give you even more room.

If push comes to shove... Get another can holder , I know a good powdercoating shop, and put one on both sides.

I did.

I know its not stock, but I lean toward long term function, versus historically correct.
    But most of the truck is actually correct... anyway.

I think you have more room than you think. Its just a rubber fillerneck.