Thread: Hot plugs - cold plugs?

Default Hot plugs - cold plugs?

Long story but when I bought my truck it came with 6 new in the box 2344 spark plugs. Still have them. A recent article in MV Magazine on plugs for MV's does not list the 2344 at all. It has a chart, from hot to cold, and they all start with "22XX", no 23's. In fact, it shows the M-715 as needing AER72S plugs which are not on the chart either.

So, does anyone know where 2344 plugs belong on the hot/cold rating or should I just get rid of them and not ever put them in the truck?
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

The 2344 is the correct plug in my opinion. Not sure where it belongs on the hot/cold chart, but the plugs are correct.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

With most spark plug manufacturers, the higher the number the colder the plug. Generally. Numbering systems have changed over the years, so that may not have applied in 1967.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    With most spark plug manufacturers, the higher the number the colder the plug. Generally. Numbering systems have changed over the years, so that may not have applied in 1967.
    On the chart of MV plugs, its the opposite. Higher number = hotter plug. The chart runs from 2247 (hot) to 2242 (colder). Don't know about civy plugs.

Autolite say's their Heat Range goes hotter with the next highest last number, ie

AR3933 Cold
    AR3934 Mid
    AR3935 Hot

Cant find the exact heat range specs on the 2344, but here is the product page: it says heat range chart locator 112 ( cant find that chart )

I might be wrong, but the charts seem to show the 23's as "shielded" resistor plugs ?

http://www.autolitecatalog.com/PartD...px?b=A&pn=2344

Competitor Cross Reference
    Competitor Name Competitor Part
    AC-DELCO WR43LR
    CHAMPION 612
    CHAMPION RML12
    CHAMPION TAC-2
    MOTORCRAFT AVR3S
    Last edited by Blitz; May 12th, 2014 at 11:51 AM.

The AER72S is a Motocraft plug, and cross refereneces to an Autolite 2407:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Autolite/417/2...ductId=2861305

just to add to the confusion.

What a mess...

it could be cross refereneced , with some effort...

Default Radios!

The shielded is for radio applications. Since any truck could have a radio installed, all trucks had suppressor or shielded plugs.

But now we know the "23" is for suppressor/shielded and the last two digits probably are the same for the "22" non-shield heat range.