Thread: Trick to adjusting brakes?

Blog Entries

Default Trick to adjusting brakes?

OK .. I'm not a mechanical wizard, but I'm not stupid in that area either. I've adjusted drum brakes before. But my M715 seems to be challeging people more than others.

I adjusted the back brakes because they weren't grabbing like I thought they should. Now they squeal like all hell only when pressure is applied. So I gave up and took it to our local mechanic. He's been working on them off and on for a good while now. Cleaned them all up, replaced the fluid, and adjusted them. Still squealing. So last night he readjusted them, said he backed them off a ton. Went for a drive and locked them up on the highway and put the truck sideways. Needless to say, and he tells me, he crapped his pants!!

So the point of this post is .... help! Whats the majic to adjusting the rear drums on this beast? I do have a new set of shoes if thats what it takes .... but these are not worn out.

Are the centering blocks facing the right direction?

Are the long shoes facing forward or backward?

Is it still a single master cylinder?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sxp View Post
    Are the centering blocks facing the right direction?

Are the long shoes facing forward or backward?

Is it still a single master cylinder?
    Unfortunately I'm at work. But everything is as it's been for the last decade (dont drive it much - 3,500 miles in 10 years). Do have a Corvette Master on it.

Default Me too

Mine squeal when hot, like in stop and go traffic. All new linings, resurfaced drums, properly adjusted, etc. I just accept it as the way it is.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Ditto above. Check the centering blocks (the arrow points forward), the primary/secondary liners, check if the drums are scored badly. Ensure the brake cylinders are free and working properly. Set the brake adjusters for a tiny bit of drag when the axle is lifted off the ground. (With wheel on yet).

I too have stock setup but with the dual master cylinder, and my truck stops on a dime. We'll, maybe it stops on a quarter....

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13