Thread: M-Series 3 way switches

Default M-Series 3 way switches

I'm new to M Series Vehicles, recently I lost my headlights on my M715 after reviewing board the answer seemed to be replace the 3 way switch, Which I did and the headlights returned to normal. This one came from a friend who runs M38's.

Question: There is a circuit breaker in the 3 way housing, is there a way to reset it the breaker?

Question: Also, recieved one from a dealer, its a 3 way configuration, it's from a M923/M35 it is larger. Is this the same face as the original, just larger, if it fits all is good?

Yes, there is a breaker inside the 3 lever. No, you can't reset it. It will, or it should reset itself once it cools down. There was a hilarious post a few years ago from a member that had a short in his headlight wiring out in the middle of nowhere far from home. He would drive with the black out spot light, turn on the headlights for higher speeds, hear the POP of the breaker, slow down, listen for it to reset and then repeat. His ride home took forever.

The original 3 lever had 2 multi pin plugs on the back. That was replaced by the single plug on the back in 1951. That replacement switch had all metal parts, metal levers with slot screw heads and was meant to be rebuilt. The same design was replaced by a more plastic version with phillips head screws and was not meant to be rebuilt. I do not know when the switch over happened. Just that they are a little bit different and fit the same spot and work the same way.

2004 or so is when the manual 3 lever was replaced by the all electronic push button version. It fits the same space as well. Some people love the push buttons and some of us don't want anything to do with them.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thank you for taking the time for a reply, never did reset. I'll post a picture of the old and new type as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Yes, there is a breaker inside the 3 lever. No, you can't reset it. It will, or it should reset itself once it cools down.
    So THAT's why my headllights will go out for a couple of minutes and then come back!

Yes, you either have a short in the wiring or a bad switch. Normally it is the grommet through the valence below the driver side marker light that doesnt do its job. If it is there to do its job I should write.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I'm thinking I draw twice as many amps with 12V.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I'm thinking I draw twice as many amps with 12V.

Exactly true.