Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan gasket replacement

Default Pan gasket replacement

I was thinking that maybe it's time to drop the oil pan and clean out the sludge that settles at the very bottom. Because the oil drain hole is slightly above the bottom, I'm pretty sure over the years, the bottom of the pan has some sediment in it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    If I go ahead and do this, where's a good place to get a new oil pan gasket?
    Are they rather easy to come across? Anything special involved with removing the oil pan?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Got mine from Memphis Equipment.
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

I just received one from Memphis also. You will have to call them to get it ordered.

Here's what you get:

[IMG][/IMG]

Memphis it'll be then. What are the two little parts used for? Have you already replaced yours, and if so, anything (unusual) I need to know in removal of the pan?
    Isn't this a good time to clean the oil pump screen or pickup?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I will let you know when I get around to doing it. I'm going to figure it out as I go.

Thanks. I don't expect it to be to complicated, but I've never done it before. I think I'll go ahead and order the gasket kit and have it ready for when I decide to pull the pan.
    Thanks again.

Just heard back from Memphis Supply, gasket set is in stock and $45.50. Sounded a little high, but if you need one what else can you do.

Getting ready to do my pan also. Are there any TIPS that I should be aware of???.

Thanks

Carmen

This looks like it will fit at half the price.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-REINZ...#ht_1101wt_930

Default oil pan

hey guys ,I replaced mine a little while back, be careful upon removal of the old gasket on the ends, my new gasket set from Memphis did not fit, it was to long ,or pos. even the wrong gasket. already doing it. I used the old gasket ends as a template ,a marker & a razor blade to trim new gasket to fit, as for the little rubber things they go on the rear of the pan, the original rear rubber was one piece instead of 3 pieces, the little ends wrapped around the spacer plate [ still bolted to the block holding the rear main seal ] I replaced the rear main seal also. This is not hard at this point, the seal is a 2 piece seal.[wont look the same new one is a rubber lip seal] the top half will roll out with a little tap ,& rolled back in .leave one end out 1/8" or so ,not flush, match the bottom half to it in the spacer plate ,install with the lip pointing the right way, lip inward. Get yourself some good oil pan sealer. Clean pan & block, I chose to reuse the rear 1 piece rubber, cleaned with brake cleaner a rag & air. Installed thin layer of sealer & sealed it to the spacer, also on the ends of my main seal, installed it. next clean block again, put a dab of sealer in all corners,& thin layer on gasket to stick it to block, get it in position ,another thin layer of sealer on the exposed end rubbers [they now have sealer on both sides] One more dab of sealer in the corners ,install pan & bolts, if you can let it set overnight before starting engine. That is my best Tip Boonie
    INDIANA FFL