Thread: 24V Distributor in a 12V System

Default 24V Distributor in a 12V System

My 715 is set up currently for 12V and as I was replacing spark plugs I noticed my wires needed replacing. They went into the Stock M715 Prestolite 24V distributor just like the Forest Service conversion packet stated (basically just jamming the wires in and using the braided steel fasteners to hold them in place).

I was wondering if there is something I can do to make this set up a little less "half assed". Should I get a new 12V distributor? Are there 12V wires out there that connect better to the distributor? Or should I suck it up and put new wires in the same way the old ones were?

There are drop-in replacement 12v distributors available, but either are pricey new or used ones are very hard to find. That'd solve your wire connection problem one way

I don't know of an easy way to get plain wire ends into the military style ignitor unit.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

There are really no such thing as 12v or 24v ignition wires, my truck has a the original 24v distributor but has a 12v coil that replaces the 24v that rapco sold years ago, it also had silicone new style wires like you have that were pushed in and screwed in with the original connecter, I got rid of them, and put original style plugs and stock wires back in it. you can do the same

Perfect I may just have to get the military wires. I accidentally ordered the military plugs so i have those lying around already.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    There are drop-in replacement 12v distributors available, but either are pricey new or used ones are very hard to find. That'd solve your wire connection problem one way
    I'll have 2 civilian distributors for the 230 available in the spring. Can't get to them right now with the snow and cold.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era