Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: upper kingpin bearings and cone?

Default upper kingpin bearings and cone?

Does anyone have the modern timken number for the upper bearing and cone? I have the numbers for the lower.

so it's just a bushing on the top? I looked at the manual and it showed upper and lower bearings/cones for the king pin. Is that not correct? (I replaced these on my gladiator and it had that type of setup as well)

I misunderstood you. When you asked for modern number I assumed a modern D60.

The M715 D60 has a brass bushing instead of the plastic one. I haven't ever seen an actual bearing on top.

I found the upper bearing/cup at some of the usual sources. Now I just need a cheaper source! ($65 for a bearing and $12.50 for a cup is outrageous!)

Quote Originally Posted by riprock01 View Post
    I found the upper bearing/cup at some of the usual sources. Now I just need a cheaper source! ($65 for a bearing and $12.50 for a cup is outrageous!)
    You ended up using a bearing in place of the stock bushing? Same as the bottom bearing and race?

My kingpins are pretty sloppy and I'm chasing parts down. Searched on here and this is the most recent kingpin thread I could find.

According to this page Ford used the same bearing top and bottom and the other OEMs used a bushing on top. But the bearing can be used in place of the bushings in the other OEMs axles.
    http://www.quad4x4.com/qu40327.html

And I think on another page I read that all D60s, open and closed knuckle, used the same bottom bearing

So.. If I got 2 of these kits:
    http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-135...-706395-r.html
    And another set of Timken M86643 bearings and M86610 races.... then I'd be set?

it wasn't designed for a top bearing/race. if it was "better" dana would not have put the bushing in. jmo
    m

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    it wasn't designed for a top bearing/race. if it was "better" dana would not have put the bushing in. jmo
    m
    Unless 300,000 bushings are cheaper than 300,000 bearings...

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Unless 300,000 bushings are cheaper than 300,000 bearings...
    And since the bronze bushings are $110 each now... I just bought 2 bearing/race sets for under $30.

Do you have the part number(s) for those?