Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a possible source for IKA Argentitnain Tornado 230 parts

Default Found a possible source for IKA Argentitnain Tornado 230 parts

It's not easy to pick through it all, but just by searching "Torino" I've come up with the following

http://m.alamaula.com/buenos-aires/m...rino/v/8392499

http://m.alamaula.com/capital-federa...o-71/v/8033807

http://m.alamaula.com/cordoba/carbur...rino/v/8442388

http://m.alamaula.com/buenos-aires/t...rino/v/8344828

http://m.alamaula.com/buenos-aires/m...a-82/v/1822802

http://m.alamaula.com/buenos-aires/m...adas/v/6937768

They aren't stock in most cases, but they are an improvement over the original. With some creative shipping and hunting for parts some of the Tornado's problems could be alleviated. Hopefully some Argentinian entrepreneur would be able cater to the demand in N. America.

The head with the extra intake ports would work with the improved intake manifolds, allowing for Turbo's or fancy 3 carb set ups to be taken advantage of. A big jump in horsepower could be possible.

http://m.alamaula.com/buenos-aires/m...-uso/v/6142453

I'm not saying that anyone should purchase these specific items, my point is they are out there.

There is some cool stuff in Argentina, isn't there? I spied a dual outlet cast manifold real cheap (once you realize the cost is in Pesos, and find the conversion rate - the parts are cheap!), but after looking into shipping costs gave up real fast. It is BIG money to ship.

Now if someone had a means of reasonable shipping it would be great.

This is good stuff...dont get the following wrong...I would love to see a 230 unleashed from its restrictions!!

The civilian and military heads are NOT interchangeable at all...there are differences both internal and external that preclude swapping them...even the head gaskets are different...SO...do the Argentine heads match US civvy heads OR US mil heads OR are they another version again?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    This is good stuff...dont get the following wrong...I would love to see a 230 unleashed from its restrictions!!

The civilian and military heads are NOT interchangeable at all...there are differences both internal and external that preclude swapping them...even the head gaskets are different...SO...do the Argentine heads match US civvy heads OR US mil heads OR are they another version again?
    I have never had one of these engines apart (and actually hope I never do!). It has always been my understanding that whilst they look a lot alike, they are different. Different head gasket, different front timing chain cover. (Rocker cover gasket is the same. So, I would be cautious if one would try to mix and match parts.

I do agree that it would be cool to see. But being a "Stock" guy, I don't see myself doing any changes. I even went to the trouble to convert my truck back to the original distribution box for the turn signals. And it worked first time, no smoke and lights worked. (Reason was that I had the original type in my trucks whilst in the army)

Now that I have a military engine here I can compare some, along with things picked up in research. The head is different, but I *think* it will interchange. The timing cover and stuff on the front of the engine is all different. The block casting is quite a bit different. They tell me a huge problem with the early civilian engines was the front engine plate with the mounts is only held on with a few bolts, and start to move and leaks massive amounts of oil. They sure fixed that with the Military engine, and now the mounts are on the block. So all that stuff is different. There is a bunch of service bulletins on how to bolt the plate down better, and the military head has added bolt holes I *think* can be adapted to the civilian engine. Going to try.

The Argentinean Tornado looks pretty similar to the military engine from what I can find out, but no guarantees. I think a lot of stuff will interchange, but who knows for sure. However for sure the later "Torino" version of the engine is big time different. 12 lobe cam, looks like hydraulic lifters, entirely different cam system, different block, 7 main crank, oil filter on opposite side; so a lot of major differences.

But it looks like a really good/cool engine! And to think it was still in production up into the 80's, based on a industrial Continental engine from the 40's, maybe 30's! Talk about long life!

Here's how you get more power out of the 'ol Tornado 6:

[IMG][/IMG]

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

I should cite Ken as the first lead on this, he's the one who gave me the first link to that site. Once I get the truck running well stock,I'll worry about the big upgrades later. In the meantime, is there any way the heads could be made to fit?

The pics from Argentina seem to be a parts book, and show on the Tornado both the North American style and the individual port head. I'll bet they will interchange with the intake. With what I can find out - don't know for sure - it should work. It makes sense in that in Argentina Kaiser used the engine in various Ramblers and the IKA Torino (with the engine still called a Tornado), and at that time the North American Jeeps were using AMC 6's. So it makes sense the M715 version of the Tornado is the same as the Argentina one. They both replaced AMC 6's. Except for the military accessories.

Sometime about 73 they did a major upgrade on the Tornado and renamed the engine to match the car, Torino. That engine is a lot different.

Does anybody know where to get new head bolts? I've got to replace the head gasket on my 230 and want to put new ones back in.

used head bolts will be fine just clean them real good along with the threads in the top of the block.