Thread: Spider Gear Noise

Default Spider Gear Noise

So with the rear wheels off checking brakes, when the plate is turned a ratcheting noise comes from the spider gear. Don't want to open it up to inspect and make more trouble unless I need to but guessing broken tooth?

First military as opposed to Civilian truck for me.

What should it sound like?

If you can, drop/drain some oil from the differential. Inspect for metallic particles. If you have a lot of metal in it, completely drain and pull the cover to visually inspect gears and check the back lash, check bearings for smooth or 'gravelly' when rotated. The differential is not a 'drop in' unit, which makes it not an in house repair. The manual here shows the overhaul proceedure and it requires special tooling to the job right. If what you have is toast...
    some fellows here have posted axles for sale which might be a better option.

You shouldn't have any noises like that. The diff. should turn smoothly and no binding or noises. It could be a bad bearing as well, maybe.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Im thinking with all the people who have taken out there stock diffs, a used one should be able to be had pretty easily

Duane

It could just be your brakes dragging. I would suggest pulling out the axle shaft and then rotating the wheel and seeing if the noise is still there. Because with the axle shaft removed the spiders gears cant rotate.

yeah, I wouldn't commit the whole rear yet. pull the axles, the cover. check the spiders, the pin, I don't really think the teeth are missing on you ring and pinion, until you get it apart, you wont know. all the parts are available, and I know its not in everyones scope to change ring and pinions, everything else can be done with some direction and advice.

keep us posted

Duane

Thanks again all.
    Guess the fording kit stays in the crate a little while longer.

Could someone have installed a locker at some point? Mine won't spin seperate unless I really try to tug on one. Then it will spin just fine with a ratchet type noise from the differential.

Pull the cover, figure out exactly where the noise it coming from, clean everything up, use silicone to seal the cover back on and fill with gear oil. If everything is ok inside, you are only loosing an hour or so of time. Plus you will know everything is ok inside there.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw