Thread: Tire Width Help

Default Tire Width Help

Gentleman,

I am picking up my M715 for the first time on Saturday and need to know:

What is the tire width outside to outside on a stock M715 with stock tires?

I have gone round and round on this site but cannot seem to find it anywhere. The closest thing I have found said it was just under 80".

The reason I ask is I will be trailering it home on a U-Haul car hauler and stopped by today to take a measurement and it came out to 78" max width.

Will it fit on this trailer? If not I need to know ASAP and make other plans.

Thanks for the help!

I can measure mine in the morning and text you if you send me a cell number.

I know Don Cavey and others have used U-Haul trailers in the past. Here's a thread with some info:

M715 Width
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

My truck is thousands of miles away right now (I'm in Australia) but I used the two axle U-Haul trailer. It worked well with no sway. Since I ordered the truck and trailer online, I had to lie to the site and tell it that I was hauling a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The truck just fit on the trailer and If I read the weight limit, the M715 was maybe a few pounds over the weight. But that didn't cause any problem. I hauled the trailer with the M715 from MD to FL without an issue.

From a thread of mine!

"Towed vehicle requirements

Must not weigh in excess of 5,290 lbs.
    Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25" Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport (identifiable by silver galvanized color).
    Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle, usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.
    Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the Auto Transport during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items."

I talked to them and have the 7000# trailer lined up.

TX - Thanks for the response and offer to do that. After reading the thread I feel comfortable now.

Piney - Thanks for the link to that thread. It made all of the difference.

Don - I really appreciate you documenting all of that. MD to FL? I don't even want to know what that gas bill was.

Thanks for the quick response gents! I will be sure to post pics when I get her!!

Found some pictures from a thread:

All Tied down and ready to go, jacket because we are still in Maryland!!!

Wow, it just fits!!!

All ready, van loaded and trailer connected.

Be sure to buy your own tie-down straps. The straps U-Haul has won't fit the m715.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Be sure to buy your own tie-down straps. The straps U-Haul has won't fit the m715.
    For sure, that is correct. The heavy duty straps that I used were new from Harbor Freight. On the first rest stop, I checked the straps and only got about one click on a couple of the straps. After that, they stayed tight for the entire 737 mile 13 hour trip. It went well.

Believe it or not, I have made 4 trips so far from MD to FL. Each time, with different trucks, I got 10 MPG. The truck above was new with only 5,000 miles on it. Of significance is that in those four trips, two were with a trailer. Two were with no trailer and I got the same mileage. Cost was about $350 in gas at the time. What is irritating is that the truck rental price has gone from ~$700 to over $1,100 in two years!

Thanks for the help guys. She barely fit, and was a bear to get on there with a come-a-long, but rode like a champ through a nasty winter storm over 260 miles home.

That's great to see! Congratulations on a job well done. Nice looking truck and I am happy to see it in the hands of another collector. Please keep us posted on your progress. At least when I took mine from MD to FL, I had dry weather. And you are right, they JUST fit...