Thread: Coils again......

Default Coils again......

This appears to be a late-production coil assy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't believe the Chinese imports ever had all this paperwork, detailed decal on box, dated milspec plastic wrapper, etc.

I can't see in the pics where it was made, tho.

This is the same exact coil my M715 had when I got it.

Someone got one of these sets off ebay awhile back (Don Cavey?) I'd be interested in more details of this kit.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

24 years in the US Federal Canoe Club I can say for sure the box label is pure 100% Uncle Sam Federal Stock Number Supply data. Although, by the early bar coding on the top of the label I'd venture a guess that item was packaged around the early 1980's. Unless there is a date listed that the item was opened, inspected and repackaged (common for non perishable items of all types) that is a relatively new coil.

A close up picture of the box label would help

Dave-
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Does anyone still offer these kits? How much was it?

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    This appears to be a late-production coil assy. ...

Someone got one of these sets off ebay awhile back (Don Cavey?) I'd be interested in more details of this kit.

Scott
    Scott, I am skeptical. I would want to look at the construction, the paperwork and the printing to see if it looks "USA". Of course, it certainly could be. But why would the military still be using 6-cylinder coils in the 80s? I could be way off base.

As for what did I buy? I have, from AB Linn, an ignitor repair or tune-up kit. It is aftermarket and appears to be OK. What I do have is an original Prestolite NOS ignitor. That has the original coil in it and I think it is not chrome in color. I will try to remember this thread and take pictures of the stuff that I have and the ignitor as well. You guys may remember that there was a discussion about the ballast resistor. My NOS ignitor does not have a resistor. I think that it was discussed that the later coils had a built in ballast.

You may remember that with most cars using the "Kettering" system, the ballast resistor was shorted out when the engine was cranked, allowing a hotter spark for starting. Then, the ballast was in the circuit to drop the voltage to the coil at something like 8 volts or so.

Please give me a week to take and post the pictures. And I would be interested if someone who has bought one of the new coils could look very closely at the construction and determine if it is "Real or is it Memorex"!

Interesting discussion.

Never seen one with the new capacitor with the wire on it.

I would say NOS.

I had bought a coil from the guy in Turkey. It didn't have all the "extras" your does.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

The M151 had the same coil as the M715. (I haven't dealt with a stock M715 coil because mine was never stock ignition. I have dealt with my M35 Gasser loosing a coil on a very busy highway one super hot summer day. I got a NOS M151 coil and have been doing fine since.) They were still being driven in the mid 1980's. At least my unit had them then.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The coil in my 715 came out of my m-38, I believe all the smaller M series used the same coil, M37's and early 715's had a ballast resister below the coil, my 715 did, the ballast resistor was bad, I went to Midwest Military and John told me the army replaced most of the coils with internally balasted coils and was surprised mine still had one, this was several years back. He had a big box of good used take out coils, I do not know if he still does.

FWIW, Lee