Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive Shaft Balancing? Worth it?

Default Drive Shaft Balancing? Worth it?

Seeing as how my truck is turning out to be a frame up restoration now, with everything disassembled: before I replace the U joints, is it worth it to send the front and rear stock drive shafts out for balancing? No visible signs of damage at all on any of the drive line shafts. No dents or anything.

I'm going to relocate the rear drive shaft to the e-brake hub for a straight line drive and figured I'd might as well as have at least the rear drive shaft balanced. General idea in my warped mind is it can't hurt but is the cost worth the effort? I could... AHEM.. spend that money on other items at this point in the build.

In other words: is there actually a logical ounce of prevention to prevent a pound of cure philosophy in my future if I spend the money now.

Thanks-
    Dave-
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Everything else on the truck will be vibrating when you are driving, so doing the driveshafts is a moot point.

Just my 2c.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Default Balance

Yes, Balance the shafts. But, first put the new u-joints in so the assembly is balanced together.
    Yep, the whole truck shakes but why add to the problem? Besides, if they are out of balance that induces more strain to the other driveline components.

Quote Originally Posted by TXfirefighter View Post
    Yes, Balance the shafts. But, first put the new u-joints in so the assembly is balanced together.
    Yep, the whole truck shakes but why add to the problem? Besides, if they are out of balance that induces more strain to the other driveline components.
    Agree, mine had a dent so a new one was made for about $140.00

My rear driveshaft has a huge dent. It's been there since I got it. When I had the stock drivetrain (np205 being the exception), the truck shook pretty bad over 45 MPH. I put a 6.2/nv4500 in and the truck rides smooth at all speeds now. I have a used spare in the garage but haven't gotten around to it yet. Its probably dumb that I didn't swap it yet. Anyway my point is that if it isn't causing a problem and you have other things you want for the truck, it can probably wait.
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Balancing the drive shafts on a M715? Never in my memory have I heard of it. Can't believe it'll make a bit of difference in the way the truck drives. These are heavy rugged vehicles that shake rattle and roll when going down the street. Add to that some heavy lugged tires, ie, Michelen XL1100's, and a balanced shaft I don't believe is going to make any notable difference. Just my opinion, but I'll bet alot a people are going to chime in here. Stay posted.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Any rotating assembly can be balanced and many are. Driveshafts are always balanced from the factory and if there is any question about them, it never hurts to have them done again. As mentioned above, it may not be a matter of vibration you feel, so much as vibration which can cause a bearing failure on the transfer case or pinion end of things over time.

Other than major bends, lost balance weights, or new u-joints being installed, driveshafts don't normally just go out of balance for no reason.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Plus one to to the previous two threads.

Only going to add, when you remove the shaft. Put a punch mark to the shaft and slip yoke to keep them indexed, if they are to be separated. All the balancing in the world won't solve a thing if the yokes front and back are not indexed.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I can't remember off hand but I think there is a master spline on the slip joints on stock M715 shafts.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™