Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bed mount rubber isolators ???

Angry bed mount rubber isolators ???

Pulled all my bed mount bolts tonight in preps of removing the bed. My rubber isolaters or "snubbers" are so far gone it's not funny. Does any one know of a place that happens to have new ones for sale?

PLAN "R" (Dr. Strangelove reference there) is to buy 16 hockey pucks and invade my neighbor's workshop and commandeer his Bridgeport metal lathe and turn my own mounts.

Hockey pucks aren't as resilient and forgiving as the original rubber mounts but turning and cutting them on a lathe is easy. Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

I have been searching the net for the same thing.
    I have found some close matches here at Metro Rubber
    This one could be used for the larger one, may have to cut the collar off.
    http://www.metrommp.com/?f=type_deta...ody%20Cushions

Someone on here suggested buying a boat trailer roller and slicing off pieces the right width.

If someone, anyone has the as assembled stock dimensions for a original upper and lower snubber, I'm sure I could figure something out on a lathe. After comparing with inside and outside micrometers and calipers, No two of mine are the same dimensions given 46 years of use and abuse. I'm trying to document the sizes so I can re create them and also post on here the sizes they are supposed to be. I may just average the sizes and call it a day.

Once I get all the dimensions if none exist, I'll blueprint and cad cam it at work during lunch, reconfigure to Adobe and post it here.

Dave-
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Mine aren't that bad.
    I will take good measurements and post late tomorrow evening.
    I considered turning down new ones on my own metal lathe. Never machined hard rubber before.

Hockey pucks have been used before with a modicum of success. I was shown by other members on here to use the boat rollers and have used them with great success. They are adequately soft enough to provide cushion and dimensionally close enough to not require any trimming of the outside diameter. Although my originals looked okay on the outside, they were either too soft from oil soak or completely petrified from age.
    They do however make quite a mess when cutting them. The first time I made a jig on the table of a chop saw but after about 10 or twelve the saw speed was too fast and it bound up bending a 7" circular saw blade. Bedlam in the shop for a moment.
    Last time and this I learned to use a plain ol' hacksaw and took my time. The mess was finer and easier to cleanup but still made a pile of rubber crumbs.
    I say boat rollers are cheap, readily available, easy to cut and last a long time. I have used them under my t-case too. Here's a picture of the last truck.

Advertised on eBay...

I checked up on the eBay ad. Item 380758148546.
    Buy it now price of $10, set of 8 supposed to be NOS.
    Says something about fit or diameter etc as these may be for the front of box only?
    Is there different sizes used on the 715?

I bought a set of those, and they are noticeably smaller than the stock cushions. I would just get the boat roller if I were to do it again
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by David Zelinski View Post
    If someone, anyone has the as assembled stock dimensions for a original upper and lower snubber, I'm sure I could figure something out on a lathe. After comparing with inside and outside micrometers and calipers, No two of mine are the same dimensions given 46 years of use and abuse. I'm trying to document the sizes so I can re create them and also post on here the sizes they are supposed to be. I may just average the sizes and call it a day.

Once I get all the dimensions if none exist, I'll blueprint and cad cam it at work during lunch, reconfigure to Adobe and post it here.

Dave-
    My truck's rubber mounts measure out to this;
    Cargo bed mounts;
    2 1/2" Dia. x 3/4" thick x 3/4" hole to fit the 3/4" steel sleeve
    2" Dia. x 3/4" thick x 3/4" hole to fit the 3/4" steel sleeve.

Cab mounts;
    2 1/2" Dia x 1/2 thick x 3/4" hole to fit the 3/4" steel sleeve
    2 1/4" Dai. x 1/2" thick x 3/4" hole to fit a 3/4" steel sleeve

Transfer case mounting bushings;
    1 5/8" Dia. x 1/2" thick, with a 1" Dia. x 1/8" high collar that has a 11/16" hole to fit a 11/16" steel sleeve.