Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: correct color

Default correct color

Hello everyone.

I know that somewhere I seen it before but could not fine it doing a search. I am looking for the correct color for my stock M715. I dont mean the cab or body. I already know that, but the engine, transfer case, transmission, the frame, the drive shaft, and on and on, you get the idea.

Thanks

Carmen

I know for certain that my 67's frame, axles, springs, and shocks were semi-gloss black. Brake backing plates were red oxide primer.
    I even found a few white, orange and purple inspector's paint marks on the axles that I'm going to reproduce.

I can't comment on the engine, transfer case and transmission yet, as I haven't started cleaning them. Someone else chime in here.

Ah, the great frame debate. Like most things Jeep did, there are two answers to that question. Most trucks came from the factory painted in chassis black, but there are several people out there that have found that the base color on thiers was OD Green 24087 like the rest of the body. My 8/67 M715 truck is one of those. When stripping the truck it was found that the base was green with like a heavy black undercoating over top. I have posted this pic several times here on the zone showing the green showing through in places where the black had flaked off.

Jeep was famous for using other items to get by when they ran short during production runs, and most likely ran out of chassis black paint one day and just swapped in some green to get by until resupplied. My 67 M725 on the other hand has a black chassis as the base coat.

The engine was black, and the valve cover was black from the factory, but replacement covers were often natural aluminum. The trans and tranfer case were also left bare metal from the factory.
    Last edited by Beast; October 16th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

What about the bell housing?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I know for certain that my 67's frame, axles, springs, and shocks were semi-gloss black. Brake backing plates were red oxide primer.
    I even found a few white, orange and purple inspector's paint marks on the axles that I'm going to reproduce.

That is exactly what I remember from my trucks when I was in the army 1968-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Ah, the great frame debate.

The engine was black, and the valve cover was black from the factory, but replacement covers were often natural aluminum. The trans and tranfer case were also left bare metal from the factory.
    And that is my recollection as well.

Like Beast's truck, mine showed traces of OD splotches in with an overall coat of black. With that in mind, I don't think it would be wrong to just go with "frame black". Besides that, I use an Epoxy primer in semi-gloss black which means I don't have to worry about painting over it for it to look right.

I also don't think it looks incorrect with an aluminum valve cover, and it offsets the black paint on the block. Makes for a cleaner look, to me anyway. I like to use a "cast coat iron" (high temp) rattle can on the T-case and other components to give them a protective coating and still look bare and stock.

But hey, that's just me, I've seen several other variations that still look good aesthetically even if they aren't factory color correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Ah, the great frame debate. Like most things Jeep did, there are two answers to that question. Most trucks came from the factory painted in chassis black, but there are several people out there that have found that the base color on thiers was OD Green 24087 like the rest of the body. My 8/67 M715 truck is one of those. When stripping the truck it was found that the base was green with like a heavy black undercoating over top. I have posted this pic several times here on the zone showing the green showing through in places where the black had flaked off.

Jeep was famous for using other items to get by when they ran short during production runs, and most likely ran out of chassis black paint one day and just swapped in some green to get by until resupplied. My 67 M725 on the other hand has a black chassis as the base coat.

Ditto here
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

I'm looking for flat OD green
    in an oil based primer? Scraped,
    acid treated with phosphoric acid
    and primed with rusty metal primer.
    Now I can't find a flat oil based
    paint?
    Thanks
    Del
    68 M715 w 68 GM 4.8L 292

Quote Originally Posted by DelWoods View Post
    I'm looking for flat OD green
    in an oil based primer? Scraped,
    acid treated with phosphoric acid
    and primed with rusty metal primer.
    Now I can't find a flat oil based
    paint?
    Thanks
    Del
    68 M715 w 68 GM 4.8L 292
    Here you go.

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Quote Originally Posted by carmen View Post
    Hello everyone.

I know that somewhere I seen it before but could not fine it doing a search. I am looking for the correct color for my stock M715. I dont mean the cab or body. I already know that, but the engine, transfer case, transmission, the frame, the drive shaft, and on and on, you get the idea.

Thanks

Carmen
    Don't forget the black frame includes the spring packs, shocks and towers, and spare tire carrier. The axles are black too, except for the brake backing plate is a red-oxide color. There probably is more.

Both my M715 and M726 have black only frame.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13