Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cummins in a M715

Default Cummins in a M715

A few pictures of a truck I've been working on - We pulled the stock drivetrain out of my friend's M715 and put a 6BT/Getrag/NP205 in it, along with a Chevy D60. The rear was regeared to 4.10's as well. The factory intercooler from the Dodge fit very well.

I was afraid the 4.10s would be too high, but the 6BT has so much torque that it moves really well. We haven't tried the highway yet, but it will do 50 in 5th gear barely touching the gas.

A short video...

Last edited by Mikel; November 27th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Good to see a running truck!
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Makes me wish mine was running.

Good lookin paint scheme!

Ive seen this rig in person. Mikel is the "Cummins Swap Guru" of Central Connecticut

I guess that shoots holes in the myth that you cannot do that swap without a spring over or a body lift. That oil pan has to be close, so any work on the pan ?

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS UNGER View Post
    I guess that shoots holes in the myth that you cannot do that swap without a spring over or a body lift. That oil pan has to be close, so any work on the pan ?
    The engine has tons of clearance at the top and about 7-8" between the pan and the axle. And everyone knows how flexy these suspensions are...

I never understood why people keep saying you need a lift. My M715 is also stock height and the 6BT fit just fine.

I'm a low center of gravity guy...

I can vouch on the oil pan clearance. Seeing his truck makes me jealous of the Getrag lol.

Also if you guys will note, Mikel did an awesome job converting my old Chevy dually axle to an M715 bolt pattern
    Last edited by defbob; November 28th, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
    1968 M715
    1968 M725

Quote Originally Posted by defbob View Post

Also if you guys will note, Mikel did an awesome job converting my old Chevy dually axle to an M715 bolt pattern
    That looks sweet!

I looked at the truck again. The closest distance from the axle to the oil pan is 4". The stops are set at 3", so no worries.

This a bit off topic, but since we are talking clearance...how have you been setting up the tie rod and drag link on the modern Dana 60 mounted spring under?