Thread: Whats the Best way to clean radiator

Default Whats the Best way to clean radiator

Finally rounded up most of my needed heater & radiator hoses. When I removed the old ones lots of rusty coolant came out b 4 it turns back to green. When I got to the lower hose I found the cause an old rusted almost in half spring.( to help keep the hose shape). so I ran the garden hose in the radiator - lower hose until water was clean then tried to do motor from top hose above the thermostat.
    What's the best way to clean out my system. Cooling fins have a lot of build up as well. Was thinking about buying some flush driving a lot drain repeat. Any thoughts o. This approach, best flush? or wast of time and have it done.if I'm going to have it done I'd prob just replace the stock radiator.

I was told this 10 years ago and ignored the advice. "Sell it for scrap and buy a new one." I spent money getting my stock radiator cleaned and not leaking. A few months of driving and it leaked. I fixed it. A few months later and it leaked. I fixed it. Repeat.....

I put the big block in and bought a new one after the stock radiator couldn't cool and started leaking again. I would have been much better off money and time wise starting with a new one.

Do as you wish since it is your truck. However, removing the top hose from the radiator, puting a garden hose in the radiator and letting the engine run with the water flowing until everything coming out is clear will do a good job of cleaning out both the block and the radiator.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

X2

Replace the radiator. The money you will spend in cleaning and time and worry about sprouting a leak will put you deeper in the hole in terms of money. The peace of mind of a non-overheating cooling system is well worth the expense in my book.

Just hop onto e-bay and do a search for a "Jeep CJ to V8 conversion radiator" in those exact words. You will come up with plenty of options for new radiators that will also work later if you do a V8 conversion. That radiator is literally a bolt in as well.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I put in a new radiator about 3 years ago in my truck. Works fine, trucks operates at a constant 190 degrees. Question is this...... Water level in radiator just barely covers cooling fins when you look into radiator. If I add the slightest amount of water to it, after a short drive to get the truck up to temperature, it spits it back out to the old level. Very picky about how much coolant it will accept. Is this normal? Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

The old non sealed cooling systems had to reach their "happy level". One of my Dueces stays full to the cap. The other spits out anything you add until it reaches a level out of sight, but high enough to touch with my finger. I stopped adding and just reach in now.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I guess my trucks "Happy Level" is just above the cooling fins. Thanks Barrman.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Thanks, I'm planing on replacing it but trying to get by with it a little longer and put money into other areas of the truck for now.

I had the same issue. Since my temp gauge wasn't working and the truck was running poorly at the time, I suspected overheating. After just letting it overflow and not re-filling it to the top, I haven't seen a drop come out of the overflow tube...

I put in a $10 overflow tank from Advanced Auto Parts. It's not stock, but it works. I just keep it full to the "full" line.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY