Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with hood #s

I have a M-715 I aquired a few years ago I am completly going through...the hood has the following # 03R23068... The tailgate and rear/front bumpers apparently have no markings...it is just one coat of green paint and then bare metal.. can anyone make heads or tails of this?

it is an extreamly low mile truck (under 1000) but with no Data tags and as of yet no serial # I don't know much about this rig..I was told when I aquired it that it was a 67 ...

thanks
    NoRM

NoRM
    There should be a number stamped into the top of the frame by the rear passenger wheel hump. Also on the passanger side frame where the front crossmember support is. My truck didn't have a data plate either and I had to locate the SN# from the frame. If you want a W/O winch data plate I have extras that I bought off of e-bay.

Joel

The last two digits of your hood number indicate that it is a 1968, at least the hood came off a '68.

Joel how much are you wanting ea for the data plates??

Buy me a beer when you see me and pay for shipping. Actually it would fit in an envelope. PM me with your address and I will send it to you for the beer some day.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker
    The last two digits of your hood number indicate that it is a 1968, at least the hood came off a '68.
    ok....using that logic..what am I to gather about this hood #? That this trucks past never was part of an actual unit or?

NoRM
    trying to learn about such things that probably mean nothing but interesting none the less.

The "hood number" or registration number has no connection to the unit it is assigned to. The history of the truck is tough to track if the other markings on the bumper are gone. What little I know about this subject is that the registration number on your hood is a US Army reg number. You probably already knew this. The "03" at the beginning of the reg number means that it is in a class of Medium Trucks. Military Vehicles Magazine, June 2002 has a good article about vehicle markings.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker
    The "hood number" or registration number has no connection to the unit it is assigned to. The history of the truck is tough to track if the other markings on the bumper are gone. What little I know about this subject is that the registration number on your hood is a US Army reg number. You probably already knew this. The "03" at the beginning of the reg number means that it is in a class of Medium Trucks. Military Vehicles Magazine, June 2002 has a good article about vehicle markings.
    Robert
    Thanks Robert...
    I did a little investigation last night online and such and came up with a idea that may or may not be accurate. First as you said the # on the hood stays with the rig from the beginning to the end...I also discovered that the # on the hood was most likely even put on the truck before it left the Toledo plant..(this was the practice of Willys for sure durring WW11) Now,what is interesting is that the factory order sheet you all have here on the Zone clearly shows a order of 87 trucks, and it clearly shows a hood # on that order sheet written in pen... that # is 03A86069 as you pointed out the 03 is for medium truck, I believe the 860 stands for the 86th truck built on this order...the 0 being there as a filler if you will to allow for orders larger than 99 trucks maybe? and the 69 is for the model year. The only thing that stumps me is the letter...but I am betting that has something to do with the month/week it's built...the one on the zones order sheet has an A and the truck was built in Feb (beginning of the phiscal year) Since the military does things bi-weekly regarding other stuff...maybe this is what the R means in my #? I NEED to find a serial # and see if I can narrow down the build date to see...if I am correct the truck was built in October of 68 in my case, and the 23rd one in the order. Then again I could be all wet in the head LOL....But my rig has no build date *nor does my 67* and in the case of the one in question...no vin to be found where a vin is supposed to be on the frame....and since it's rust free...I am thinking I didn't miss it...I am going to look again this saft latter and see.

NoRM

radiator crossmember and over rear axle... its hard to read.

Norm, The serial number is on the top of the frame rail in two places like Joel said. It's very very faint on mine. Barely stamped into the metal with 1/4 numbering. I had better luck finding the number on top of the frame on the passenger side, just above the rear axle. It's five digits. You may need to clean off the paint to read with a mirror. Once you find it, you can use Brut4c's VIN registration of the left <------ to get an approx date of delivery. It's a great source of info.
    Back to the reg number. Your "R230" is just part of an alphabetical sequence composed of a letter and numbers. This would begin with A001 up through A999, Then B001 through B999. The next truck following your's would be R231. Some letters were not used such as letters "I" and "O" to prevent confusion. Other types of Medium Trucks other than the M715 could be mixed in between these groups of numbers so you could not esimate the number of M715's produced by using the reg number.
    best of luck, Robert