Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 230 Distributor swap

I ordered the Civilian distributor for the 230 Napa Part number NRD 48-1646 and I'm having trouble finding the cap and rotor for it. The listed cap in the master parts list is way too small for the distributor and unfortunatly it is also the same part number that is listed in the Napa computers for a 65 jeep gladiator with the 230. Has anyone else done this? What am I missing here? Does the cap somehow fit on the Dist? Does anyone have some some other part numbers for caps and rotors?

I buy my caps for the stock distributor at Napa, for that application...wonder what you got a distributor for...the stock cap on the civvy dist is pretty small...I see I dont have the part number for the cap, but I walk in NAPA and ask for cap rotor point condensor for the 65 Gladiator 230 engine.
    Heres a couple pics of the distrib in my truck with the cap on...this is the only kind I have ever seen for the civvy setup...the mil setup is completely different but the cap is about the same size with the arm for the coil sticking out...The 2nd pics gives you the underneath view of the dist so you can compare to whatever you got from NAPA.

Hope that helps,
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Just Curious, when you say you ordered the "Civilian distributor for the 230" what vehicle was it for? (not the J20/Gladiator?)
    Has anyone every converted the 230 Tornado to HEI? It works well on the 194/230/250/294 GM engines.
    1969 M715

Cutworm made a hei distrib for a 230...worked well he said....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Yep its the distibutor for the 65 gladiator witha a 230 and it dont look like that. Granted that I am only going by what has been told to me from NAPA and the parts manual on this site. It does have the flat tip on the end of the distributor. I'm heading back to Napa Tommorow to check it out. These are the same part numbers that are in the online parts manual. What is the part number for your Distributor??? Now to me it looks like the cap was the right one but I got the wrong ditributor.

Default New park in Kentucky!

I believe that distributor is no longer produced. I'm pretty sure I've heard that on here before.

Chris

Default rust preventative in doors and inside frame????

It seems I remember someone got a dist from Napa a year or 2 ago that was supposed to be for the 230 but turned out to be for the 226 I think...
    Mine shows part number:
    IAT-4411 4AT
    This is the Prestolite number from the tag on the unit.
    Hope that helps....
    brute4c

This is the distributor that I got from napa that is supposed to be for the 230. It is alos the same NAPA part number taht is listed in the parts guide. The cap and rotor are RR183 and RR182R. I hav'nt pulled my stock one yet because I know that it works and its been raining here lately. By the looks of it I don't think it will work. I may have to go junkyard hopping.... I dont know how to post pictures so I will email to Brute.

OK, I figuered out that the distributor is the wrong one, and I cant get the right one because nobody has one. All of the part numbers have been discontinued and none of the local part stores can get one. None of the junkyards around here have it either. So if anybody has a 12 volt 230 distributor hanging around because they swapped thier engine let me know because I'm looking for one. Or if anyone can point me in the right direction please do. Thank you.

The big HEI cap won't fit unless you switch to civvi fuel pump, the bigger mil pump interferes with HEI fitting, I was told.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011