Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kaizenator : Backfiring thru carb on 230, adjustment screw Qs

Default kaizenator : Backfiring thru carb on 230, adjustment screw Qs

Backfiring thru carb on 230, adjustment screw Qs
    Post by kaizenator on Jul 9, 2006, 7:44pm

The tune-up manual says to back the carb adjustment screw one turn out, and then fine tune it after engine is up to operating temp. How many turns out do other people have their adjustment screws?

My timing is on spec, but maybe I need to move it off the mark a little, or the only other thing I think it would be is the air/ fuel mixr screw. It seemed to get worse as I screwed it in, so I backed it out to 2-4 turns outs. There is not much room to work with that adjustment screw, any suggestions?

It still pops out the carb when mashed, what to do?

Default porkchop :

Re: Backfiring thru carb on 230, adjustment screw
    Post by porkchop on Jul 9, 2006, 7:58pm

When mine was popping out the carb I found that I had a bad valve. It was stuck open. Just giving you something else to look for.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 9, 2006, 8:08pm

Agreed on the popping....if it pops out the exhaust, look at the carb....popping out the carb, ignition or timing or valve problems...

The mixture adjusting screw should work when the 1 turn out setting is used, to get one started....after it is running, it can be properly adjusted by hooking up a tech and turning the mixture screw slowly to acheive the highest rpm possible...occasionally bumping the throttle while doing so...

At the max rpm, the mixture will be at its best your particular engines needs...this varies from truk to truck.

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Jul 9, 2006, 8:32pm

I hope it is not a problem in the valvetrain. I do notice that when the engine is started after sitting for about a week, it seems not to want to fire in all of the cylinders until it warms up. It may still be trying to burn out the crude that was fed into the carb (someone else's mistake).

The engine wasn't fired up for abt 2 years. It did start right up, though, and I have used ATF after it warmed up. Maybe all of it hasn't burned out yet, but it has stopped smoking like it did. out of the tailpipe, it now just appears a little rich, not thick smoke. It does backfire out the exhaust also ocationaly when mashed, but not as consistent as out the carb.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 9, 2006, 11:13pm

If you had a bunch of crap make it into the carb, you probably need to tear it down and clean/rebuild it.

Very well could have crap in a jet causing a lean condition, sure hate to see you torch a piston over that.

Default gregolma715 :

Post by gregolma715 on Jul 9, 2006, 11:16pm

Don't mess with the timing. If you have the timing on and the idle properly set it's not the problem.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jul 10, 2006, 12:40am

Quote:
    The mixture adjusting screw should work when the 1 turn out setting is used, to get one started....after it is running, it can be properly adjusted by hooking up a tech and turning the mixture screw slowly to acheive the highest rpm possible...occasionally bumping the throttle while doing so...

At the max rpm, the mixture will be at its best your particular engines needs...this varies from truk to truck.

Is this the screw at the base--the one pointing right at the valve cover so you can't get at it with a regular screw driver?

It's been a good number of years since I've tuned a vehicle. Ain't quite like riding a bike either....

I did manage to find my timing light and dwell/tach gizmo though.

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Jul 10, 2006, 8:50am

Yes, that screw pointing to the valve cover is the one.

I have thoroughly cleaned my carb out since all the junk, and rebuilt it with new needle/seat, accl pump, and gaskets.

It runs pretty good and isn't backfiring all the time, just when I try to accelerate hard. It kinds seems sluggish to me in the lower RPM range.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jul 10, 2006, 8:53am

Run a compression check. You probably have a stuck valve. If that's ok, I'd look at the plugs and wires.

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Jul 10, 2006, 9:58am

all cylinders hold good compression, new plugs, good wires, new cap, good rotor, working coil.