Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calpyro : Clocking a NP 205?

Default calpyro : Clocking a NP 205?

Clocking a NP 205?
    Post by calpyro on Jun 30, 2006, 2:15pm

Hello,
    I am having an adapter for a NP 205 transmission made to mate to a Spicer 3053 transmission. I can have the 205 clocked to accommodate better drive line angles for a spring-over lift. How much angle can the 205 handle and still lubricate the gears properly? I was thinking 2"-3" would help.
    Thanks

Default tacomainoh :

Re: Clocking a NP 205?
    Post by tacomainoh on Jun 30, 2006, 2:30pm

That'll work. ORD's clocked Doubler moves it up at least that. Or are you moving it DOWN??? in that case, use the Chevy-style drop, it hangs way the hell down.

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jun 30, 2006, 2:51pm

I am having it rotated down. I did a spring-over lift and the angles are at the maximum allowable with a divorced T case. With a 3053 and a mated NP205, the transfer case will move forward and make the angles worse. I have an opportunity to rotate the front drive-line (clock) down to improve it's angle. I was wondering how much of an angle a NP205 can operate and if the angle will effect it's lubrication.

Default elliott :

Post by elliott on Jun 30, 2006, 3:30pm

It's an all gear case, you should be able clock it anyway you want as long as you can set up the vent where you need it and be able both fill it with oil and check the oil fill.

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jun 30, 2006, 3:35pm

Thanks,
    I give it a go.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Jun 30, 2006, 5:07pm

I'm thinking along the lines with Elliot, there is supposed to be a certain amount of oil in there, the gears then move it around to lube all the gears, as long as you can get roughly the same amount of oil in there, I don't see any reason it would cause any harm. i'm changing the clocking of my divorced 205 to help out the rockwell front and to try and go below the tranny crossmember, I'm doing the same thing you are...not sure how much I've moved it..

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 30, 2006, 5:31pm

Only though I have is getting oil to whatver shaft happens to be the high one...agree that your gears will be fine...not sure if it will slosh enough to get the shaft if you got carried away with the angle...just thinking outloud to spur thought.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 30, 2006, 7:11pm

how big a lift did you use??? to max out the LOOOONG front driveshaft that's got to be pretty tall.......

Down will have more of a negative effect on lubrication. PICS!

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jun 30, 2006, 8:55pm

I did a spring-over lift. Total lift was equal to the thickness of the front axle. I brought the front down a bit by removing one spring and adding the weight of a SBC and winch. Still the stock U joints will bind. Reducing the distance of the front drive shaft, by joining the trans and transfer case makes the front angle more severe. After posting this question, I read a few articles about clocking transfer cases and nothing was mentioned about lubrication.
    However, I want to be sure that I won't be damaging the transfer case.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jul 1, 2006, 12:51am

You can clock flat. Typically you will need about 3 quarts or so. In order to get that into mine, I bought a PTO cover with a fill plug in it. No problems filling it then.

Note this is with an approximate 1-1.5" body lift, and your exhaust with an SBC will be TIGHT if it's clocked flat (had to come a down a little on mine to clear the the passenger exhaust.

More pics:
    http://www.sjmembers.com/gallery/vie...umName=album43

Check my doubler x-member thread for the full write-up.