Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : Ford 300 swap, pros and cons.....

Default binfordm715 : Ford 300 swap, pros and cons.....

Ford 300 swap, pros and cons.....
    Post by binfordm715 on Jun 26, 2006, 1:01am

I asked Fisherman and Saxon today about possible engine swaps in my future. I had been planning to eventually put in a SBC 350 with the married 465/205 I picked up from Tacoma. But these guys started oohing and ahhing over the Ford 300 straight-6. I guess a few on the Zone have done this swap. I was just poking around for some thoughts on this. Mate to the stock T98? Or a Ford T18? Swap in a divorced t'case of some sort?

So, whaddyathink?

Default compexp :

Re: Ford 300 swap, pros and cons.....
    Post by compexp on Jun 26, 2006, 6:17am

Luckypabst did that swap with an EFI 300 and (from what I hear) has been very happy with it. Good power and better mileage too.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jun 26, 2006, 10:45am

Yea, carbed first time around, now sporting EFI hooked to a T18.

If you get to it, I can walk you through but here's the basics:
    Get the trans in the same place as the stocker using a homemade conversion mount and conversion U-joint then work your way forward. Carefully remove the frame perches from the frame and reattach them where they'll work with the Ford motor mounts with the engine set correctly.

The engine is very long and eliminates a mechanical fan with the radiator in stock location - pusher fan seems to work OK in most cases. Lower radiator hose plumbing is gay and I have what amouints to a sink drain trap to clear the alt. belt. A wider crossflow radiator may be the answer.

EFI engine requires a good sized chunk to be cut from the firewall. Carb engine fits, barely squeezing in beside the factory hot-water heater but you need an offset air cleaner base (this is with Offy intake and 4-barrel carb, should fit better with original Ford 1-barrel).

EFI requires a specific fuel pump. Ford uses a kooky system with a shuttle valve in the pump and you almost have to use the Ford pump, requireing gas tank mods or adapting a Ford gas tank.

Power is nice and the 300 has a fair aftermarket for hop-ups but it's still a rather conservative engine. I think I'm getting about 13 mpg with the EFI and 38" tires. I chose the 300 for its history of longevity and reliability plus the fact that it was in production for just over 30 years and parts are almost as easy to come by (and cheap) as SBC parts but you don't have bellybutton syndrome.

Chris

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 26, 2006, 11:09am

ah man! Of the three 465's I've sold, 2 of them have been sold like 3x each, without leaving the building. Not you Timmay! NOT YOU!!!!! besides, I have some good SBC parts I won't be using now, and I was going to make you sweet deals on them. *sigh*

The Ford six is a good reliable motor, nothing to write home about but it does pretty good and holds up. And you know how I hate Fords, so that's high praise! lol That said, I've only seen like... a few in the yards around here. Maybe Utahns just liked v8's more or something.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 26, 2006, 11:23am

I think Chris has fully succeeded in scaring me away from the F*rd 300! Crikey, that's a lot of work! Doesn't seem to be any easier to put in than a SBC--in fact, it seems to be even more trouble. I'll bet it's a good torquey grunter though. But still.....

Fear not, Tac... I was just fishing for ideas. I'm still pretty sure I'll be going SBC.

So....what sort of sweet deals are we talking here, huh?

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 26, 2006, 11:34am

I've got some free headers, if they'll fit. Cheap serpentine belt setup. Edelbrock intake, a Quadrajet, etc. That kind of thing. Possibly a Ranger underdrive. we'll figure that all out JUST out of earshot of the ladies.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 26, 2006, 11:43am

"It's okay, Honey.... Taco's giving me free headers (that *might* fit) for spending just a few hundred bucks on this other stuff I might use." Heh, heh, heh....

Oh, and how 'bout finding me a Ranger OVERdrive? I'm plenty low enough as it is!

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 26, 2006, 11:47am

oh yeah. I forgot you're keeping the stock axles. A few hundred bucks he says... HA!

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jun 26, 2006, 11:57am

My apologies Tim! It's pretty easy actually. I started tearing into my truck mid-day on a Friday and was moving it under its own power by early Sunday afternoon, still needing exhaust, coolant plumbing and final wiring.

Chris

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 26, 2006, 11:58am

so that's like, a half an hour in hippie time. It was a good swap, with an excellent writeup.