Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grantshire : What Axles?

Default grantshire : What Axles?

What Axles?
    Post by grantshire on Jun 15, 2006, 8:05am

I am mobile so this will be short. For a highway tow rig and moderate wheeler what axles do I need to swap in? I was thinking of a Dana 60 from a J20 with 4.56 gears for the rear. Any thoughts on this? What about the front?

Default elwenil :

Re: What Axles?
    Post by elwenil on Jun 15, 2006, 8:14am

The D60 might be ok for the rear, but if it were me, I'd find a D70 or 14 Bolt. For the front, a D60 is really the only option. There has been some discussion on the strength of a modern D44 versus the stock closed knuckle D60 and they seem to be similar as far as the shafts go. I still think the D60 would support more weight, but that's just me. If you are going to swap, you might as well upgrade in my mind. As stated before, CUCVs are probably the easiest way to get a 14 Bolt and front D60 under a M715. Put discs on the rear and you have two modern axles with 4:56 gears and many other options along with modern parts availablity at just about any parts store. The brakes alone are probably worth the swap if you are towing.

Default grantshire :

Post by grantshire on Jun 15, 2006, 8:42am

Where do you find these axles? How do they compare WMS to WMS? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

Richard

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Jun 15, 2006, 8:46am

ebay for the axles, although there have been guys on here who have had some for sale. I think going rate is around $1200 each.

Alternatively, find an entire CUCV on ebay and buy it, keep the axles, sell the diesel and body panels.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jun 15, 2006, 9:39am

$800-$1200 for a front D60 in most cases and the full floating 14 Bolt can be had out of just about any GM 3/4 or 1 ton pickup for $300-$700. Most of the time, like Compexp said, it's easier to just get a surplus CUCV and strip it and sell off the extra parts to get some cash back.

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on Jun 15, 2006, 10:25am

What are you using the rig for? A rear dana60 will work fine for many applications.

Default grantshire :

Post by grantshire on Jun 15, 2006, 11:38am

As stated, this will mainly be my tow rig. If I go with 4.56 gears what kind of RPM's will my engine be turning at 70 MPH with a non OD tranny like a TH400 and 38-40" tires? Should I be looking for higher gears or an OD transmission?

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jun 15, 2006, 12:18pm

Quote:
    Where do you find these axles? How do they compare WMS to WMS? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

This guy is where I got my CUCV's, and his prices are par for the market... I recommend him as a good vendor:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437439

Default twodogs :

Post by twodogs on Jun 15, 2006, 12:39pm

The formula is: (mph x final gear ratio x 336) / tire diameter.

So, at 70 mph, you get70x4.56x336)/ 38 = 2822.4 rpm.

40 inchers will give you 2681.28 rpm at the same speed.

Here endeth the math lesson.

Personally, I tink overdrive automatics are great, but spendy. How much will you tow, and how often. Are you going to flog this thing, or baby it? Use a TH400 with a towing upgrade and big tires. Less money. Easier to fix/replace. Gets it done.

Default grantshire :

Post by grantshire on Jun 15, 2006, 1:35pm

Thanks for the math. I have the formula back at my office but am mobile right now. I agree with you about the OD trannys. Looks like 4.10's with a good TH400 behind a V8 is a better option. RPM's at 70 will be around 2500. Are there any differences between Ford, Dodge and GM Dana 60's?