Thread: saxon : info on spring over on stock axle

Default saxon : info on spring over on stock axle

info on spring over on stock axle
    Post by saxon on Apr 27, 2006, 9:41pm

Hello everyone, new to this, I've installed caddy 500 t 18/98 in my 715, have eldo pan in it but still don't have enough clearance tween pan and tie rod, I guess i wanted truck higher anyway! Any info would be appreaciated, or should I bother when site is back? Thanks again. saxon

Default kaiser715 :

Re: info on spring over on stock axle
    Post by kaiser715 on Apr 27, 2006, 10:35pm

check this link out

rear sump 425 pan or offset sump 368 pan may help, or 70-76 rear sump caddy pan

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/500....p-oil-pans.html

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on Apr 29, 2006, 4:58pm

Thanks for the caddy pan info Kaiser 715, I,m pulling the front axle today, from just staring at it , it looks as though I,m going to have to cut and flip the steering arms or heat and bend, kind of leary of this approach though. I,ts going to have to happen, want to keep it low budget for this truck is primarily going to be used as a tug to pull my x navy whaleboat to the drink. Thanks for all the info. saxon

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Apr 29, 2006, 11:37pm

Hello,
    I did a springover lift and did the front end by just moving the tie rod to the top of the steering arm. To do this, I re-tapered the steering arm from the top to match a slightly larger tie-rod end. I found a new tie-rod end that has a small diameter equal to the large diameter of the old one. Sounds complicated, but it was cheap and easy. I also did not need to worry about my welding skills on the steering arm.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on Apr 30, 2006, 12:44am

Thanks for the info calpyro, when it's handy could you give me the application on those tie rod ends? By the way zone folks, I just got on board here, and after cruzing around on this temporary site I realized how devistating this crash is I,ll wait to ask for info when everything is captured, I surely don,t want to be a pain. Thanks everyone, and kudos on this temp. site the info's helped already,and it appears it,s keeping the juices flowing. Good luck on the repair!

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Apr 30, 2006, 7:27am

I purchased Federal Mogul tie rod ends at my local truck parts store. To get the right size, measure the larger size of the taper in the steering arm, (the bottom of the arm has the large size). With that measurement, match that size to a new Federal Moguls tie-rod at the small side of the taper. I don't know the part #, but they have one that matches perfectly in the Federal Mogul part book.
    Now with that new tie-rod, re-taper the steering arm from the top to match.
    A couple of fine points: Remember that tie-rods come in right and left sides with corresponding threads.
    Secondly, the new tie rods are a bit larger and require narrowing of the tie rod.
    Thirdly, when fitting the new spring perches on the front axle, grind them to fit as close as possible to the axle. Also remove at least one leaf spring from the front. This will reduce the lift in the front bit, and will help with the U-joints angles.
    Fourth, you will need to cut the bottom transmission cross member for the front driveline. Be prepared to re-brace the top of the cross member to maintain it's strength. I welded a couple of 1/2" X 2" bars in mine.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on Apr 30, 2006, 3:23pm

Thanks calpyro for the useful info, that really helps. Did you find the drivelines were long enough after the lift? And did you have to reposition the shock mounts, or use longer shocks? That might be really obvious, I hav'nt studied that yet, figured I'd cut off the spring perches and get the 4:56's in it first, welding can come later. If I keep milking, this job will get done by itself! Thanks

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on May 1, 2006, 12:06am

I had both drive lines lengthened. I changed to U joints that tolerated more angle. That pretty much fixed it. Call Tom Wood driveline or High Angle for quality parts.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on May 1, 2006, 7:45am

Thanks for all the info, calpyro