Thread: dxeflyr : Need electrical help, again...

Default dxeflyr : Need electrical help, again...

Need electrical help, again...
    Post by dxeflyr on Apr 25, 2006, 1:04pm

Anyone who can help:

Truck was starting/running fine a couple of weeks ago. Went to start it the other day, got a small pop and nothing. Figured I'd charge the batteries. Did so, both showed good on the charger. Hooked batteries back up, voltmeter shows good, hit the starter. Get the same pop, now voltmeter shows nothing. Cleaned terminals, voltmeter shows good, same pop when I hit the starter. Sound like a battery or connection problem? Anything else? Electricity baffles me, please help.

Default barrman :

Re: Need electrical help, again...
    Post by barrman on Apr 25, 2006, 1:54pm

I think you are right to look for a loose or coroded terminal end or connector somewhere. You might want to check the ground strap for the batteries as well.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Apr 25, 2006, 2:02pm

Happened to me, was a bad ground.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 25, 2006, 2:13pm

Second that....check the ground wire to the frame and make sure it has a good clean solid contact there....then check the starter switch and make sure the wires are on tight and without corrosion and the one from the starter to the foot switch is not touching anything it shouldnt...then check at the starter end for the same stuff.
    If not that stuff...have to wonder if the foot switch has gone bad...

You can take the rest of the electrical system offline by pulling wire #5 off the starter switch...this is one of the 2 big wires that is on one terminal of the foot switch along with the positive wire from the batteries...it comes from the alternator to charge the batteries and the rest of the trucks electrical system, besides the starter, runs off it too. The post that just has 1 wire is the starter side...

If you disconnect wire #5 at the foot switch, all thats left in the system now is the batteries and the starter...that cuts it right down for ya. If it doesnt do it then, you know its farther into the wiring...if it does do it, it has to be a connection at the batteries, frame, starter switch or the starter...the rest is offline.

If you cant find it in the connections, then the foot switch is suspect....

Of course the truck wont start with #5 disconnected...no power to the ignition...but at least you should be able to get it to crank correctly...

Default dxeflyr :

Post by dxeflyr on Apr 25, 2006, 3:21pm

Thanks guys, will try this out when I get back to town.

--Bill

Default eastcoastkaiser :

Post by eastcoastkaiser on Apr 27, 2006, 12:39pm

My starter foot switch went bad on me and every time you pushed it, it would short to the floor basically grounding the positive side of the battery. But that was an easy find as it threw some serious sparks in addition to the popping sound. Made for a real nice theft deterent though...