First off, I'm a little amazed that the site exists and is as active as it is.

This is a welcome surprise!

Now for story time:

Three of my uncles had picked up M715's back in the 70's. Two cargo and one ambulance. Growing up, these vehicles were always present and to this day, all three are in working order and street legal. Recently, one of the uncles put his up on E-Bay and had a bidder in California win the bid. Had I known then about it, I would have likely made a called and got it then. As fate would have it though, the bidder looks like he is not going to follow through with the deal. If that happens, I will be picking it up. I imagine, if those here had seen the listing, it probably would have been picked up sooner, but I didn't seen any posts to it in the for sale forum down below so count my self lucky that it may end up in my hands.

Here's the description of the truck as my uncle had posted it on Ebay:

1968 Jeep M715 1-1/4 truck V8 16 speeds, locking diffs
Vehicle Description

You are bidding on a 1968 Jeep M715 1-1/4 ton, 4x4 Military Cargo Truck with winch. The title is clear and there is no reserve price. Features AMC 360 V-8, 16 forward/4 reverse speeds, front and rear locking diffs, off-road lighting, power steering, power brakes, hitch, brake controller, and much more! Please Note: Vehicle is advertised locally and I reserve the right to end auction if local buyer comes through before any bids are placed on E-Bay.
I have owned this ex-U.S. Navy Seabees truck since 1976, but it is now time to find a new home for my faithful old warhorse. The truck was first sold as surplus to a military vehicle collector who subsequently sold it to a small contractor. I purchased the truck from the contractor with just over 21,000 miles on it in the fall of 1976. Current mileage is under 89,000 miles. Over the years, I have used the truck for many things, but most of the mileage was put on during the 1980’s after the original 230 OHC Jeep engine was replaced with a low mileage AMC 360 V-8 from a rolled Jeep Cherokee, and a Ranger two speed auxiliary overdrive transmission was installed in front of the factory T98, 4 speed (Giving it 16 forward and 4 reverse speeds in both 4x2 and 4x4 modes). Since 1990, the truck has always been stored inside and the yearly use has only averaged about 500 miles.

A full frame-up restoration was done in 1978. Over the years, a number of modifications were installed to make it as versatile as possible. Besides the V-8 and Ranger overdrive, the following mods. have been done: 14-17.5 tires, Gleason Torsen Limited slip front diff, Detroit No-Spin locking rear diff, Selectro lockout hubs, dual alternators, power steering, power brakes, front PTO winch. Heavy-duty front bumper, offroad lighting, dome lamp, raised rear canvas top, dual shocks, low-drag NP205 output shafts, and cab heater. Of all the modifications, installing the Ranger 2 speed was probably the best because it made highway driving and trailer towing practical. The only real downside to the Ranger is since I installed it, the transmission will only downshift from 4th to 3rd gear at fairly low rpm. I have heard some other people with the Ranger experience the same downshift difficulty.

The body is sound and has no significant corrosion. The drivers door and fender have some bondo which was applied when it was still in military service. The tailgate is slightly bent. There are minor dings, dents, and scratches. The canvas cab top has some professionally applied patches but it is in good, serviceable shape. The cargo top has a couple minor holes and at least one tie-down grommet is partially torn loose. The seats are serviceable but worn. Cab floor is sound, but metal is bare in areas where feet rest. One cargo body mount has broken free. The doors on the storage compartment under the front of the box still open and the latches work.

For you folks who live a long way away, I know you will want to know if you can drive it home after you win the auction. I know of no reason why you couldn’t, but it HAS been 20 years since the last long trip! Since that time, I have driven my old 5/4 tonner less 10,000 miles. It has been registered and street legal all those years, but be advised, I make no guarantees about it’s suitability for a long trip. Since it sits so much, there is seepage from some seals. On the plus side, the water pump, power steering pump, power steering gear, mufflers, belts, and hoses have just been replaced, plus the radiator was just re-cored and an electric fuel pump installed. Pretty much everything else except the front axle has not had any major service performed during the last 20 to 25 years. I installed the Gleason Torsen M008-AB front limited slip gear drive differential about 10 years ago.

The truck is sold “as is-where is” with no guarantees or warranties. Payment by winning bidder is as follows: $500 dollar deposit due within 72 hours of end of auction. Remainder is due within 14 days of close of auction. Payment may be made by cash or certified check. Title will NOT be transferred until full payment is made and payment has cleared bank. Assistance in loading is available. Vehicle MUST be picked up within 40 days of auction close (Please note: No pickup available from June 18-June 26.) Location is rural Montana between Billings, MT and Yellowstone Park.

Make: Kaiser Jeep
Model: M715
Year: 1968
Serial Number: 31908
Build Date: November 1968
Rating: 1-1/4 ton
Wheelbase: 126”
Approximate Vehicle Weight: 6,400 lbs., registered for 10,000 pound gross
Original Cost to U.S. Government: $4,400
Original Owner: U.S. Navy
Engine: AMC 360 V-8 gas engine with Holley 4bbl carb
Clutch: 11”
Main Transmission: Borg Warner T-98 4 speed
Power Take Off: Chelsea 2 speed reversible mounted on left side of transmission
Auxiliary Transmission: Advance Adapters Ranger manual shift 2 speed, direct drive and 27% overdrive
Transfer Case: Twin-Stick New Process NP200 with NP205 output shafts.
Transfer Case Gear Ratios: High Range is 1:1 and Low Range is 1.96:1
Total Forward Speeds: 16
Total Reverse Speeds: 4
Rear Axle: Dana Spicer Model 70, 5.87:1 ratio with a Detroit No-Spin locking differential
Front Axle: Dana Spicer Model 60, 5.87:1 ratio with Gleason Torsen gear-type limited slip front differential and Selectro lock-out hubs. Has front axle truss/skid plate.
Brakes: Power assist, 13” front and rear
Steering: Saginaw Power
Winch: PTO driven with 3/8” cable and roller fairlead
Rear Hitches: 2” receiver hitch and Rotating frame mounted Pintle Hook
Fuel Capacity: 28 gallons plus has brackets for two 5 gallon jerry cans
Electrical: Dual alternators, one 12 volt and one 24 volt. Total of 3 batteries.
Auxiliary Forward Lighting: five 24 volt (3 spot, 2 flood) on light bar and four 12 volt (2 fog, 2 flood) under front bumper.
Back Up Lights: Two 24 volt flood
Trailer Connectors: One each 12 volt and 24 volt.
Instrumentation: Full set of gauges, but hour meter and tach are inoperative.
Wheels: Five Jackman 6 spoke steel 10.50” x 17.5’ wheels
Tires: Armstrong 14”x 17.5” 10 ply rated traction
Exhaust: Headers and dual exhaust. (Headers and pipes are getting old and thin.)
Suspension: Leaf Springs with dual shock absorbers
Cargo Box: Rubber Bed Mat and six factory tie down rings.
Spare Parts and Tires: If desired, buyer can have up to 8 extra used tires and whatever spare parts I have at no charge.

The original ebay listing can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140236614914

Additionaly, he has posted alot more pictures on his own site:

http://www.4x4repairmanuals.com/

And as a shameless plug for the family, he runs a partner sites to that last one:

http://www.quad4x4.com/
http://www.4x4tools.com/

I will keep yall posted on new developments!