Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug wires

Default Spark plug wires

I have a 68 M-715 with the stock 230 engine, and was wondering will "off the shelf, Autozone, civvy plugs" work in this truck our will I have to find some military plugs for it. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    "If you can't Dodge it Ram it"

You must use sheilded plugs if u have the mil dist and wires still, autolite #2384 at a parts store or from any number of mil surplus vendors
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

What about wires if I changed to civvy plugs. Do you know the part # for those as well.

The civvy plug for the stock 230 is autolite 275 which may cross reference to the Champion RL95YC . Of course your plug wires will need to be changed. Brut4c and others may point you to different ways to adapt civilian plug wires to the military distributor.

The Autolite 275 works with civilian wires or modified civilian wires...see this page for one method:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=mil_wire_convert

You can also get a set of V-8 universal plugs...the inline 6 universal set I tried didnt have long enough wires for the rear 2 cylinders.

Cut off the metal piece on the coil end and strip the wire back an inch or a little more and expose the conductor. You will want to coil the conductor on the bottom of the wire as the holes in the distributor cap only have conductive material on the very bottom and about 1/8 th inch or so up the sides.

Take off the ignitor cover and remove the distributor cap from the underside of the cover.

Measure the depth of the hole in the cap and make a line on the new plug wire at that depth...so you know that you are bottomed out in the hole...

Put the stripped and with the bare conductor coiled up on the bottom of the wire through the ignitor cover and then into the hole in the cap SLOWLY and CAREFULLY until it is bottomed out. The towers that the wires go down into on the cap are fragile and easily breakable...if you break one, you get the joy of throwing it away and buying a new one as the cap will crossfire readily.

repeat for the rest of the wires with the firing order of 153624 and remember the rotation is CounterClockwise.

Make sure to use the spark plug boots on the ignitor cover threaded ends where the wires used to screw on...the small, half round kind work really well for this...something to look at when purchasing the wire set.

Oh, and 7mm wires are the thing to use...I dont think 8mm will fit.

I have done it more than once...ask if I wasnt clear somewhere....hope it helps!

Great post. The info is very useful. After I pulled my head out of my #$% I realized that I already had a civvy distributer, courtesy of the previous owner. To many long days, and not enough sleep coupled with a flu didn't help either.

Even better!

One thing to check...is the vacuum advance working on it or does it need a new one?

The stock type is no longer available but there are similiar ones out there that seem not to be too hard to adapt if needed.

Do you have a 12 volt coil for it?

This may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is the vacuum advance. Yes we have the 12 volt coil already.

There should be a round extension on one side of the distributor just below the line the cap sits on. It is round, about half dollar size or a little larger in diameter and has a small vacuum hose connection on the end of it.

This gives advance just off idle that that mil unit doesnt have and adds some power and economy to the 230...or any motor it is on and working properly.

I think I have a pic of mine here somewhere:

Well a little biugger than I remembered on the 230...the round thing sticking down from the distributor with the hose at the end is the vacuum advance.