Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake lights and turn signals

Default Brake lights and turn signals

My truck has reflectors, but no brake lights or turn signals.
    Is there a suggested way to add them to a 24 volt vehicle?

Brake lights are more important to me then turn signals.

Zach

Default Big Question

Not sure where to start. When you were here we could have discussed your wiring. In the manuals section here you will find drawings I did for stock and modified stock wiring. There are also wiring diagrams there that will help. I had to rewire most of my truck so I can certainly help. Let me know what you need or PM me.

Are the lights missing or just not operational? If they are not operational down load the -20 manual it has a trouble shooting section on testing the lights. If they are missing then you need to get some new military lights and replace them. Sounds like they are not operational. Stupid question, but you are turning on the light switch right?
    Zone holster maker

I used the modern LED version of the stock lights, and as Dave can tell you, they are bright!

Most modern LED lights such as those on the semis will auto-range from 6-36VDC, so they are easy to add.

To add the turn signal function with an LED light though, you need to have a flasher module designed for LEDs, as they don't draw enough load to trigger the stock turn signal flashers.

So, to answer your question, the easiest way to add the brake lights if you still have the wiring in place is find some surplus mil ones or go to modern LED ones, depending on your preference. Finding civilian 24v lights can be a pain.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

it looks like I do have brake lights. At first glance I thought they were reflectors.

I am going to have the chase wires to see whats going on there. LED would not be a bad idea, those brake lights are TINY.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post

I am going to have the chase wires to see whats going on there. LED would not be a bad idea, those brake lights are TINY.
    Yes, they are tiny and not too bright even when working properly.

You will also find that the first time you take the truck off road, you will bend them or knock them off if you drop off a ledge. I took mine off before I destroyed them and used LED replacements in a box on each side. Readily available, and less susceptible to damage.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Can you show me your mounting (a picture). I am looking at my truck throiugh the window, and there does not seem to be much area to mount stuff on.

Zach

The standard "cats eyes" suck! The upgrades work better and the military ones bolt right in and hook right up to the wiring with no issues.
    Zone holster maker

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here is what I did. I removed the entire stock bracket that slides into the end of the frame on each side and then made a box. (next time I'd use a bit bigger one as the box I used is slightly narrower than the frame channel) And then cut an oval slot to fit the standard rubber grommet oval trailer/truck lights:

In the rough form:

On the truck and painted:

And an over all view:

These are the commonly available lights, so I am not sure how or if they'd work with 24V systems, but most LED's are good up to 36 volts. They are nice and bright, don't stand out too much, and most importantly they won't get knocked off on the trail. At least not easily! Oh, and they are completely water tight too.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default tailights

Here is a light bucket I made out of steel to protect my new Military Led lights