Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct hardware for attaching the torque reaction arm.

Default Additional info I found.

In the interest of keeping all of this info in one place, I'd like to mention something I found last night in a post on SS from 2014. I don't think I can 'legally' cross-post so I'll paraphrase.
    This is regarding the 2 bolts that attach the arm/mount to the transmission:
    Replace the bolts with grade 8 studs, flat and lock washers. Use red loctite. The driver's side stud has to be shorter than the other.
    The post is titled Transmission Support Mounts (to give credit to the original poster).
    This is something I think I'll try since one of my bolts had fallen out and was jammed under the trans somehow, making the entire mount quite loose.
    I hope I didn't break any rules by including this.
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

Default Update: The final(?) piece of the puzzle.

I was just about to start calling around for bushings so I opened the -34 to use the picture in there as a reference. Then I noticed that I was in the engine section. And that's when the light came on.
    Yes, the torque arm/transmission mount parts breakout is in the -34P, Group 1 Engine. Figure 5.
    So now with all of the information in this thread, I should be able to make or buy everything I need to make this thing work right.
    As my late, great aunt used to say, 'Until you're better paid, thanks a lot!'

Yes, there is another brace, fashioned from a piece of tubing.
    Photo also shows that spacer inside of the channel mentioned above.

Nice! Is the torque arm coming loose a common problem on these trucks? Your solution seems like a sure fix, and I'm wondering if I need to add something like that. Or if it's needed more for 5.87:1 and maybe not so much for 4.56:1 gears, if I make that change.
    Thanks again!

Default COTS replacement parts list

This is just a list of part specs that I'm using to go shopping for the parts that I don't expect to have in the shop or find online as NOS. Maybe it will help save someone else some time looking them up.

Here it is in .txt format. Not very pretty, but it will do.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TJinSD; July 19th, 2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: IMG link didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by TJinSD View Post
    Nice! Is the torque arm coming loose a common problem on these trucks? Your solution seems like a sure fix, and I'm wondering if I need to add something like that. Or if it's needed more for 5.87:1 and maybe not so much for 4.56:1 gears, if I make that change.
    Thanks again!
    The tubular arm and the spacer are stock parts, I didn't add anything extra.

The torque arm/support bolts that thread into the back of the transmission have been know to work loose enough to leak gear oil out. It's mentioned I the Quirks Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    The tubular arm and the spacer are stock parts, I didn't add anything extra.

The torque arm/support bolts that thread into the back of the transmission have been know to work loose enough to leak gear oil out. It's mentioned I the Quirks Manual.
    I found the spacer in the manual, had no clue about that tubular bar. I'm thinking it might be easier to make than find.
    I read that Quirks manual, must have not remembered the part about the bolts coming loose. Looks like I'll be joining Barrman in the library to reread the manuals.
    Thank you!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Hmm, learn something new everyday. All 4 of the trucks I have experience with didn't have that so I had no clue what you were talking about. I guess I need to resume memorizing the manuals again.
    Get to it, mister!

Seriously, I have never seen that torque bar before. Crazy the stuff you can still learn.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Quote Originally Posted by TJinSD View Post
    I found the spacer in the manual, had no clue about that tubular bar. I'm thinking it might be easier to make than find.
    I read that Quirks manual, must have not remembered the part about the bolts coming loose. Looks like I'll be joining Barrman in the library to reread the manuals.
    Thank you!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Post a wanted ad.
    Many members have repowered their trucks, and might have that unwanted stuff lying around taking up space.
    You might get it for the price of shipping.

I've spent many hours reading through the manuals learning about every nut and bolt in our trucks.
    Unfortunately with my aging mind, I can't remember half of that stuff.

The ad is a good idea. Thanks. I'll do that in a little while.

Is your truck a '69? I wonder if that's one of that year's mods.

I'm right with you on the remembery. I do what I can, the rest I write down.