Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M715 question

Default 1967 M715 question

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I have a question about M715’s. I have an opportunity to buy a 1967 M715 and I just want to get an idea of what I’m getting into. I do all the work on my own vehicles, but I wouldn’t say I’m incredibly mechanically knowledgeable. Everything I’ve learned has been through forums, YouTube, google, and Haynes manuals. The vehicles I’ve worked on were a 1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2, 1990 Ford Bronco 5.8, and my current truck 1994 Ford F-150 4.9. I have almost no electrical knowledge besides installing a trailer light plug to my truck, fixing damaged wires, and changing battery cables. Things I’ve done are valve cover gasket, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, side panel gasket, new radiator, flush cooling system, intake manifold gasket, drum brakes, rotors, and brake pads.

So with all of that said, I was considering buying a 1967 M715. Would I be in over my head as far as maintenance or things that it may need done? It has some rust on the body so I might need to buy a little welder and learn how to fix that. The guy said it has the original engine and trans, but says the engine needs a new distributor to run. He said the engine is a 238 tornado i6. After reading on this forum for a bit I asked him if it was the original 24v system or the 12v, he said 12v. The 24v/12v thing has me slightly confused as to what distributor I would even need. I’m not trying to restore it to mint condition, but would like to cruise around on trails with it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
    I have almost no electrical knowledge besides installing a trailer light plug to my truck, fixing damaged wires, and changing battery cables. Things I’ve done are valve cover gasket, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, side panel gasket, new radiator, flush cooling system, intake manifold gasket, drum brakes, rotors, and brake pads.
    ^ You'll be doing a lot more of that. especially brakes and fixing damaged wires.

You have a solid base of mechanical experience. Basic skills... and these trucks are pretty basic.
    The electrical system is pretty straight forward. The wires are numbered instead of color coded. That threw me for a loop at first but it is a much better system.

The online maintenance manuals linked at the top of the page are a necessity with a stock truck. And the members here are ready to help.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Yeah I love the look of these trucks and I’m willing to learn what I need to in order to have it running good. Should I be concerned that it’s not the original 24v system or is that not much of a problem?

12 volt or 24 volt isn't really as important as condition of the wires themselves and how it was converted to 12v if it was converted.

My truck was converted by a fire department. They just ran new wires and put in new switches after most of the time cutting the original wires. It was a mess. I have seen others that swapping alternators along with all the bulbs and the starter motor have you back at 24 volts once the battery leads are switched over.

See what you find and take each one individually.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

You have a good knowledge base and the army manuals were written for someone with a 5th grade education so they are laid out in a straight forward manor. There are three manuals that have a bunch of numbers but it's the last set that everyone calls them by. The -10 manual is the operators manual. (Think of it as the manual that comes with your car.) This will tell you how everything works and what maintenance things you the driver is responsible for. The -20 manual is the organizational maintenance manual. This was the book that told the unit mechanics what they could fix and how to fix it. Also gives good trouble shooting steps to help figure out the problem. The -34 is the direct support maintenance manual. These were the folks further back in the chain of command that did all the heaving lifting for the repair of the truck. This manual covers everything from engine removal and rebuild to rebuild of the axles and transmission etc. If you decide to get the truck download the manuals you won't go wrong.

As for the 12/24 volt thing. You'll just have to get the truck and try to figure out what the previous owners did to muck everything up. But then again that's half the fun of owning an Historic Military Vehicle. Welcome to the OD club. We are here to help if you have questions.
    Zone holster maker

When we built my truck, we removed all the wiring and started over with an aftermarket wiring harness and the GM one-wire alternator that was on the 230 we swapped in. Add 12V gauges, bulbs, and the starter on the replacement engine, and we were done.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I went and checked it out today and decided to buy it. The only problem is there’s an issue with the title that will need to be worked out. I’ll be sure to post pics once I pick it up and start working on it!

Welcome
    We love pictures and don't hesitate to ask more questions.
    Start studying the online manuals above

Thanks, I was really glad to see a forum dedicated to M715 because I know I’ll have a ton of questions. I’ll go ahead and get to reading. I’ll be sure to post a lot of pictures. Here are the pictures the guy originally sent me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome aboard!
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205