Thread: I think I have a 12v, help confirm

Default I think I have a 12v, help confirm

I have been reading posts on here like mad. Now after looking aunder my hood a little more, I think I might have a 12v system (kind of). I have a starter with only one wire going to it. The coil says 12v on it. My distributor has clips not screws, and is a Prestolite 4044. With all this said, I have 2 batteries.
    So my questions are:
    Do I have a 12v system
    Still have the plug question- what should I use- as I have civi distributor wires?
    I am including a few pics. I think it might need to be cleaned and tightened up in some way. Any points in a right direction would be appreciated.

Could only add 2 photos here are other ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The starters look the same no matter which you have.

A 12 volt coil works great on 24 volts if you have a 3 Ohm resister in the primary wiring.

What kind of alternator do you have?

How are the batteries hooked together? - to - and + to + is parallel and means 12 volts. - to chassis ground, + from that battery to the - of the other and then the last + to truck wiring is series and means 24 volts.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

It is +-+, no-neg. So it is a 12v?

Sorry , so excited, ran out to look at batteries, didn’t look at alternator. It says 14v.
    Attached Images Attached Images

on the starter, I think the 24V starter has a thick band around it where the band is absent on the 12V starter. You have the 12V starter.

The alternator, of course, is the dead giveaway. You have a 12V system.

Pistolnut has had my 12 volt starter for about 12 years now. I forgot about the band.

A 12 volt Prestolite is something I don’t think I have seen before. Cool.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have 2 USGI 24v starters, neither have a band, I also see a ballast resistor tucked in by the heater hoses, coil says none required.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; July 25th, 2018 at 03:19 PM.

I would like to see a pic of the distributor...if possible...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!