Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Got it done and you can see the old line where the fender flared out to. It looks much better now. It took me 2 days for this. It was worth it.

My passenger side fender was too much work. Member Glenn set me up with a replacement fender. Thanks Glenn. It had a few spots that needed some repairs, but I was able to fix all of it in an hour. The original fender had a continuous weld on the place where the fender joins the flare. It would have taken days if it could even be fixed. It too had the spot welds broken and got welded out of position.

Checking a repaired crease. Dang that flare metal is thick. I have a BFH for it.

On the truck and looking way better..

I wanted to put a painted black rhino grille on. But the factory brush guard hits the top of the grille. My brush guard has some bad bends in it. Fisherman gave me one of his heavy duty brush guards when I was at his place after buying the truck. I will get it out and see if it fits with the rhino grille.

The truck is looking good.

I need to drill the hood for the black out light and get some hinges on it. I will get the brush guard situation handled and then probably start on the roll cage. More later..

As always, top notch stuff Al. I just added about an 1.25" to the 4 bolt tabs on the top of the brush guard to fit it with the Rhino grill. Doesn't look out of place too much. I also didn't have the heart to paint one of my Rhino grills black so I bought a fiberglass reproduction with Jeep badge that fits perfectly.

I suspect I will do that same thing. Extend the tabs. I will go get fishermans guard and see how it fits. It is major heavy duty and if I remember right it was heavy. I will find the best option there. I can paint this rhino grille (grill?) without to much hesitation. It has surface rust, screw holes and a crack I will fix by filling the back with body panel adhesive and a small plate. So much time on this rig...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    I suspect I will do that same thing. Extend the tabs. I will go get fishermans guard and see how it fits. It is major heavy duty and if I remember right it was heavy. I will find the best option there. I can paint this rhino grille (grill?) without to much hesitation. It has surface rust, screw holes and a crack I will fix by filling the back with body panel adhesive and a small plate. So much time on this rig...
    Ok so I just when I thought I knew everything I found room for one more tidbit of knowledge to fill up my last 3 empty brain cells. Grill vs grille, all these years I didn’t realize by adding an “e” on to grill changed the definition. Thank you Al for finally setting me straight!

Dang Al...how can someone have that skill level?? I swear its part magic or something...mine would look like another piece of junk in the scrap bin...

Great work!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    Ok so I just when I thought I knew everything I found room for one more tidbit of knowledge to fill up my last 3 empty brain cells. Grill vs grille, all these years I didn’t realize by adding an “e” on to grill changed the definition. Thank you Al for finally setting me straight!
    I have no idea if I am correct.. LOL It sounds good right?

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Dang Al...how can someone have that skill level?? I swear its part magic or something...mine would look like another piece of junk in the scrap bin...

Great work!
    I am just trying to correct everything back to a good baseline. And I will say that there are times when being a perfectionist burns valuable time and can even be counter productive. This truck is exactly what I need right now.

Thank God!! And we get to benefit too by watching!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I had a great conversation with zone member Fisherman last night. I actually might get a visit from him soon. I spent a day applying pressure very carefully to my OEM brush guard. Mounting back up on the truck at least 15 times to check it with a straight edge. The bottom was severely bent in, the top bent out and the whole end wing twisted way out of plane.. The darn thing would not fit in my press except for one minor tube correction, so I had to get creative with a cherry picker. And the press too, I did not take a picture of that very goofy arrangement. I broke one weld on it from being so far out of correction. It is now straight as an arrow. I am not sure I will be putting the rhino grille under it. But the radiator needs some type of branch and gravel protection. Today is shop clean day. It looks like I had an earthquake and a tidal wave in there.
    Using old press jigs that did the job.

This was interesting figuring out where to apply pressure with the legs being the braces.. It went well but was time consuming.

Now where is my cleaning hat?

You know you have been gone a while when you have to learn how to post photos again. By no means will this truck not get finished. I pretty much got it all assembled and I am ready for paint. I have been a bit busy with life stuff. I interned my late wife in a burial vault in Juneau Alaska on August 13th. The saddest day I have ever experienced. I am truly grateful for my time with her. I got remarried on September 2nd. To a woman that I can honestly say is saving my life. Her kids on the other hand are trying to keep me learning...LOL I also got baptized in Christ on September 11th. Knowing this is the right path I am trying to work forward. My home is for sale and not one nibble all summer. The days are going below freezing at night an I realize I have lost my painting window. That is OK. This winter in a heated shop I can examine the motor internals for any issues, flat cams, bearing wear etc... Plus rebuild the transmission and NP205. I need a gear swap in the rear axle and that should keep me busy between plowing snow and feeding the woodstove. I got my 6 cords of firewood cut split and in the shed. So bring it awn as the pirates would say. It has been a strange ride.
    The only thing left is some seat brackets. And a minor alteration on the soft top. No I am not making them yet. So hold off for now thank you. Onward and here is how the truck sits as of this morning...

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; September 20th, 2022 at 03:24 PM.