Thread: Cummins Engine on OEM mounts

Default Cummins Engine on OEM mounts

Anyone try to adapt up? Or is everyone in agreement the original M715 mounts are simply not up to snuff for an extra 400 lbs? (vs the tornado)

They (the OEM M715 mounts) are stamped out steel... their dual bent edges do make for some tuff SOB's... but for 400 more lbs?
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

there in the 100% wrong location plus the height is way off for 4bt or 6bt

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    there in the 100% wrong location plus the height is way off for 4bt or 6bt
    From a positional standpoint... they seem to be in 100% the right location... just wrong elevation in regards to hood height..... I might try to rework the elevation on the OEM mounts.... maybe this could work after all if the OEM mounts are up to the task.

I am trying the stock mounts for now. Check out my build in open discussion. I know there is a pic in there somewhere. I am adding a "dogbone" torque link to help engine twist. It all depends on what your doing with the truck. Driver or truck puller.

Just an on-highway daily driver queen with occasional wood hauling duties.

33" load E range tires

Surprised you ran into drag link and pitman arm issues... I'll have to investigate as guys are doing zero body lifts, with zero firewall/floor cutting and not having pitman/drag link issues on OEM oil pans.....

My guess is I won't be able to do my front Ford Dana 60 swap.. and do a highsteer kit... while remaining spring-under-axle.

The OEM setup has the ride rods facing down toward the ground (taper down)..... The highsteer kits today are Tie Rod top side... (taper toward the sky).

This 3 or 4 inches might just hit the oil pan.

blue torch fab will taper them up or down for you

Quote Originally Posted by md1970 View Post
    blue torch fab will taper them up or down for you
    Thanks MD... killer info...

I might... MIGHT be able to have an extremely OEM looking axle/steering setup that way then... (well..exactly the same setup as the OEM M715 then)

Clearances are close but would work stock. All the cutting is so I can run and intercooler and the cummins clutch fan. I could have saves some cutting by changing exhaust manifolds, but trying to build as cheaply as possible with what I have around.