Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 715, looking for some guidance

This is my old truck. Mike's been a friend of mine for years and years. The bus in some of the pics above was his, and it lived at my house for a few years around the same time as I bought the 715. My life kinda went to **** in October and I needed the truck gone ASAP. Mike may actually get the rig up an driving while I focus on my life and kids and all the other stuff going down.

My 7 year old was ANGRY when he found out I sold it, as I had told him it was going to be our project. But, things change and he and I will have other projects (like the 914 that I refuse to part ways with). And he loves Mike and was somewhat mollified that Uncle Mike was the one who bought it.

Anyway, Evil has a good start on this truck. Has a ton of good parts and a frame that's very solid. The transfer case has the driveshaft relocation kit on it (assuming that he uses the NP200 and not the TH400 with the married NP208 that came off the Chevy that I gave him.) He also has 4.56 axle gears that can be installed. And the SBC.

Zach
    Last edited by vacca rabite; November 24th, 2015 at 10:21 PM.

While small block chevy is the cost effective way.....

And diesel is the MPG and torque utilitarian way...

LS motors are the EFI MPG, while having enough HP & Torque to do something with it as well...

My 5.3L vortec swap in my 1966 C10 was an absolute RIOT to drive.

Must be electrically confident in your abilities.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Welcome!

I'd go with the SBC and never look back. I know diesel is the new hotness, but you'll never get great mileage pushing a dumpster down the road, you'll never make back the upfront investment, and unless you tow heavy how much power do you really need? A half century of Chevy trucks have done fine...

I'd think seriously about a 700r4. The extra gear is really nice. I wouldn't even give the t98 the time of day.
    I'll second that emotion! More on the overdrive than the SBC. I went SBC for the same reason most do, they're cheap and parts are everywhere.
    But the overdrive is really nice. Keeps the trans heat and wear on the motor down a bit. And the truck just sounds happier when it locks in at 38 MPH... I'm staying with the 5:87s for now.

I was thinking diesel later... but then realized I'll never need that torque and not sure I want all the extra weight in front associated with all the torque I'll never need... Maybe 4bt if I found a good deal on one.

Or if my Grand Prix GTP gets wrecked... maybe find a BOP pattern 700r4, mod the ECM from the car and go with a supercharged 3.8l V6...

That's the really cool thing about these old trucks, anything and everything is an option.

Hey Zach! I figured you would find me here eventually. I havent picked your brain much given your current life matters. I figured my comms with you to be best served just checking in and being there. However, its coming. You are going to have to educate me on what you know about your truck.

I am really digging the SBC support. I am happy to go with the 700R4 trans after looking into them. Those gear calc pages are very cool! They do lead to more questions, of course.

Would a NP200 or a NP205 be a better choice?

Also, any thoughts if a turbo would add any benefit?
    Semper Paratus

As for EFI, I am proficient in electrical and have built stand alone systems before from the board up, so no issues there. Zach gave me the TB for FI and I would like to consider that.
    Semper Paratus

205 any day. Search 'transfer case overheating' here if you have any interest in the 200.

These trucks were engineered 1) for the Vietnam-era military and 2) about the same time period as the Series Rovers (which were often used in 3rd world countries with no roads, pulling a plow in fields.) And they were considered under-performers then. I don't think there's really any part of the drivetrain that compares favorably with modern stuff, at least for modern uses.

As a vintage time-capsule they're wonderful, but about as practical as daily driving a Model T.

The GM marine TBI systems are pretty cool. Simple as injection can get.
    http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...te-tbi-system/
    Last edited by Subybaja; November 27th, 2015 at 08:05 AM.