Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

The gauge is definitely reading backwards. 1/4 tank on the gauge is full and as I'm using up the fuel it is getting closer to the full mark. I will probably be looking at flipping the sender around in the tank when I get around to it.

The speedometer is confirmed 20 MPH slow. At 30 on the speedometer I'm doing 50 according to the GPS. I'm not sure if I will just get a ratio adapter or get a NOS speedometer. I'm not in a major hurry. Knowing how far off it is makes it easy enough to gauge my speed for now.

I've moved on to some detail stuff today. I filled in the hole that was cut into the transmission tunnel cover for the automatic shifter that used to be in the truck. I also made a plate to cover the floor starter opening. My truck didn't come with a floor starter switch or the plate to hold it to the tunnel cover. Those openings allowed hot air to be pushed into the cab and made it less comfortable to drive on hot days.

I've been driving the truck with no fan for the radiator and it hasn't been a problem even on the 90 degree days we've had here recently. That was a big concern when it got that hot one day this week but I think my thermostats are stuck open because the coolant isn't even getting up to 180 degrees. I've verified several times with the infra-red thermometer aimed at the radiator and the crossover. The gauge and the infra-red agree with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post

The speedometer is confirmed 20 MPH slow. At 30 on the speedometer I'm doing 50 according to the GPS.
    The speedometer is getting worse as I drive it more. I took the truck to work today and on my way home I noticed I was passing everyone when I thought I was doing about 50. It turns out I was doing 65 at 30 MPH on the speedometer all of a sudden. So I slowed down to 55 GPS speed and I was reading 25 on the speedometer. I don't know yet why or how that is happening.

This weekend I cut my original speedometer open to see what I could see inside. The speedometer appears to be a simple worm gear setup. I'm starting to wonder if I can repair it. The only problem I can see is there is a spring on the needle that broke off. It may be repairable by simply bending a new hook on the fragile spring and inserting it back into the hoop that held it originally.

No major updates for this weekend.

I changed the oil in my transfer case today. I forgot to change that before I started driving the truck. Lucky for me the oil didn't look that bad. I have no idea how old it was though.

Today I also tried to finish my receiver style hitch. I cut some gussets to add to what I had previously installed. I got the gussets partly welded in before I ran out of wire in my welder. So I started wiring for the electric brake controller. I drilled and tapped where the new 7 way plug will go and got the original truck wiring connected to the new plug. I also wired the new brake wires to the cab where the controller got mounted. I didn't finish wiring that though because I can't remember where I put the breaker I bought for the thing.

I'll post up some pictures when I get it done. I hope to finish it after work tomorrow because I'm planning to use the truck to tow my dad's travel trailer on Tuesday.

I towed my dads twenty eight foot travel trailer to a local camp ground on the fourth. It was about 88 degrees here that day. The truck did fine towing it the short distance I brought it. It was only about 15 miles or so one way.

I still don't have a fan on my radiator and my truck only got up to 200 for a short time going up a small grade.

I'm pretty sure my turbo isn't doing it's best because I can hear a leak in the crossover and can see smoke coming out at the flange of the drivers side manifold on cold start. I should probably get that fixed. As it is I can only make around five pounds of boost. That is fine for now though because the el'cheapo exhaust temp gauge doesn't work anymore so I can't monitor that until I replace it.

I don't have any pictures of the hitch yet and am not really that proud of how it turned out anyway. It did fine towing the trailer but it really looks like an afterthought not something that was well planned. I will probably get some pictures of it before I modify it and after I'm done making it look less cheesy.

Well last Saturday I ended up selling this truck.

I will not be updating this thread much now I'd guess. I will be starting a new thread when I start on truck number three. I've got a bunch of stuff to do before I can get started on that build.

well last saturday i ended up selling this truck.

I will not be updating this thread much now i'd guess.
    : (

i will be starting a new thread when i start on truck number three. I've got a bunch of stuff to do before i can get started on that build.
    : )