Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Autolite 2407 have we been running the wrong plugs all along?

good info for the various Mil vehicles out there as relates to plugs here (Including the m715)

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89308

Postby Star Electric Ordnance » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:46 pm

Ken, All I can tell you is that people smarter than me at the factory determined what proper heat range and length was needed for each engine. The proper plug for the M-38 is an Autolite (Or Champion equivalent) 2243. It is a 14mm x 3/8" reach plug. In a heat range of three plugs, it is the coolest. It is also the same plug for the M-37, M-35, and the M-54 series gas trucks. The next hotter plug is the Autolite 2245 for the M-38A1 and the M-151. The hottest plug in this particular series is the Autolite 2247 for the 4 cylinder Mule and the Mighty Mite. All these plugs are 14mm by thread diameter and 3/8" thread length. The M-715 has a plug all to itself, the Autolite 2344. That plug is 14mm x 1/2" reach. The 2 cylinder Mule and the 5KW generator share the same plug which is a Champion XMD-15 18mm x 3/8" My source of information is the research of each of the ORD 9's or the 35P parts manuels for each vehicle. I took the plug ordnance number and used the master spark plug catalog of Champion to convert to their part number. I sell all the plugs, which are new, for $8.50 each. Kevin.
    Star Electric Ordnance
    Sergeant Major of the Gee
    Sergeant Major of the Gee

Well my plugs came the other day and I was able to get some pics of the two different plugs. Yes, the 2407 is quite a bit shorter than the 2344 and did make it just a bit easier to install the original waterproof plug wires.

The big advantage I found was that there is more room to finger tighten the waterproof caps so that all it needs is just a snug with the special plug wrench. And like everyone else who ordered through Napa Online, I ordered 6 plugs and paid for 6 plugs but they shipped 2 boxes of 4 plugs so I received 2 free plugs in the deal. So it appears that the 2407 plug is the plug we should be running in these trucks.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Is it an optical illusion or is the reach deeper on the 2407?

Quote Originally Posted by ctaviator View Post
    Is it an optical illusion or is the reach deeper on the 2407?
    Reach is the same.
    Dave

Ok sweet, I know what my next tune-up will include! Thank you for trying this out!

Dave,
    How long are they? We found a very rusted plug in the bottom of the inner fender on the truck we are doing for Sermis. A wire wheel lets me see part of "autolite" but not really the entire number. It is 3" from the top of the wire threads to the bottom of the head threads.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Dave,
    How long are they? We found a very rusted plug in the bottom of the inner fender on the truck we are doing for Sermis. A wire wheel lets me see part of "autolite" but not really the entire number. It is 3" from the top of the wire threads to the bottom of the head threads.
    Yep the 2407 is 3" long.

The 2344 is about 3.25" long.
    Dave

My set of six #2407 spark plugs came today from NAPA.

They only sent six, instead of eight like some have gotten.
    I should have ordered twelve to save on shipping costs, but I thought I might get the two free ones.
    I hope the condition of the plugs are alright, the two loose singles didn't have any gap set. Hope they weren't dropped on the floor.

Default 2407 is the one, for sure?

My brush truck livery 67 M715 was just delivered Saturday, and ohhhhh I am in love. Man, what a beautiful expression of utility. Love it.

Anyway, she is at the muffler shop now, and I have a carb kit coming to me via ebay, but regarding plugs, is the 2407 the final word on plugs? I have read several threads, and given heat range and length, and price too, sounds like this is the plug to buy?

Can someone weigh in on this, who has run these plugs, and confirm they are the way to go?

Thanks fellas. RB

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    My brush truck livery 67 M715 was just delivered Saturday, and ohhhhh I am in love. Man, what a beautiful expression of utility. Love it.

Anyway, she is at the muffler shop now, and I have a carb kit coming to me via ebay, but regarding plugs, is the 2407 the final word on plugs? I have read several threads, and given heat range and length, and price too, sounds like this is the plug to buy?

Can someone weigh in on this, who has run these plugs, and confirm they are the way to go?

Thanks fellas. RB
    Yes. the 2407 is the proper plug to run. I run them in both my trucks and the shorter plug makes installing the waterproof cap much easier than with the taller 2344's
    Dave