Thread: Chevy Dana 60 swap Duelly vs. SRW hubs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chevy Dana 60 swap Duelly vs. SRW hubs

Gents,

I am amassing parts to start the build on my M715 and was wanting some input from guys who have swapped drivelines before.

I have a Chevy Duelly Dana 60 front that I got for a smoking deal. This has a 77" WMS to WMS with the duelly hubs. If I put standard SRW Hubs this knocks the WMS down to 69.5".

I also have a 14 bolt SRW rear end that is the standard 67"? width.

I am debating on getting a set of SRW hubs for the Dana 60 front to knock down the width as I am going to completely rebuild the front axle before installing it.

The plan is to use a set of 17" beadlock wheels on this setup and run 40" tires on them. I don't really want to run HMMV wheels due to the limited tire options and the ridiculous offset.

Th main issue is a set of Dana 60 SRW hubs now run upwards of $450, and it would make me nervous to put 5" of spacers on each side of the rear axle.

Any input is appreciated.

You can machine your dually front D60 hubs and turn them into SRW hubs.

Mikel,

I have thought about this but everything I have read says they are not as strong as a regular set, and they would NEVER run them on the street. I want this truck to be very capable on and off road, possibly a daily driver if I feel like it. If I do go with SRW hubs I will pony up the cash and do it right.

Thanks for the input though!

Quote Originally Posted by rambler247 View Post
    Mikel,

I have thought about this but everything I have read says they are not as strong as a regular set, and they would NEVER run them on the street. I want this truck to be very capable on and off road, possibly a daily driver if I feel like it. If I do go with SRW hubs I will pony up the cash and do it right.

Thanks for the input though!
    They can't be any weaker, it is just machining off the redundant outer flange for the dually...it would be identical to SRW.

And the rear does not have to "match" the front width...The factory didn't
    Is that real money?

Ray,

Actually they are. The one in the picture above looks like it had a flange added to it. When you machine down the front mounting surface on a dually set it leaves the small tabs where the disc brake bolts onto it. The ones I have seen done have had a flange welded onto it to strengthen the tabs that are left. Again, not something I would feel safe about on the road.

Ray,

Actually they are. The one in the picture above looks like it had a flange added to it. When you machine down the front mounting surface on a dually set it leaves the small tabs where the disc brake bolts onto it. The ones I have seen done have had a flange welded onto it to strengthen the tabs that are left. Again, not something I would feel safe about on the road.
    If you look at a cross-section of one of those hubs, I think you'll see that those flanges are not the weak points. Plenty of people run them like that and I am yet to hear about a failure. You will rip a rim from that hub long before those ears brake.

As far as welding a flange, I'd rather not deal with the strain and embrittlement that will cause.

Ray,

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...9&postcount=11

You are removing the outer mounting flange(original mounting for wheels) and leaving the inner tabs that originally bolted to the brake disc. in terms of strength, you are probably making it stronger, because the wheels now won't leverage the hub on the outside, but near the center of the hub. As for the tabs breaking, they go through the disc, and they would probably have broken stock because of leverage again.

And I would find either the rear dually hubs or axle. your should be able to find one, and maybe even trade you SRW one for it.