Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novak Cummins 4bt????

Blog Entries

Default Novak Cummins 4bt????

All I'd like to drop in a 4bt and mate it to the existing T98. Now for the odder question. I have a complete Novak adapter and conversion set for a Chevy 350 swap. .... everything, motor mounts, pipes, adapter, clutch plate, bellhousing, all of it, every bolt.

- Is there anything I can use out of that pile of parts to accomplish the 4bt -> T98. Not an expert and no time so someone else doing work for me.

- and for the 4BT turbo mounting, on top or to the side? Looking at some 140HP units bu they are top mounted. Can get them side mounted if I ask I'm sure but wondering if the top will have clearance issues.

In my opinion you are better off using a modern OD trans of your choice, with lots of closely spaced gears. Buying parts to mate a T98 to a 4BT is a waste of money.

Top or side mount turbo... It all depends on how much space you have. I have had good luck with side/rear mount turbos, which most automotive 4BTs had. Look for a HX30W.

Blog Entries

I want to keep the original drivetrain so I could keep the stock winch. If you have a combo that will allow me to keep the stock winch I'm all ears.

well, you could get a pto for a nv4500 that mates to the 4bt. $$$

And get a married np205 to boot. Except for the PTO that's the configure that Lee Alessi did way back when.

I would run a NV4500 with a PTO. Or you could possibly adapt a hydraulic motor to your winch and run it off the power steering pump. You would need a beefed up pump and hydraulic cooler of course. Either way it's $$$$. Advance Adapters makes a Ranger over drive unit you could put between your T98 and engine too.

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    I want to keep the original drivetrain so I could keep the stock winch. If you have a combo that will allow me to keep the stock winch I'm all ears.
    I understand that. But with what you suggest, you are going to end up with a low revving engine connected to a non-OD drivetrain and 5.88 gears. You'll be doing 50MPH at near redline for the 4BT. And that's going to get old very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I understand that. But with what you suggest, you are going to end up with a low revving engine connected to a non-OD drivetrain and 5.88 gears. You'll be doing 50MPH at near redline for the 4BT. And that's going to get old very quickly.
    This, I forgot to add you'll need the regear the stock axles to 4.56 and run bigger tires too.

What they said.

A nv4500 (OD) and NP435 (non-OD) both have PTO capability. And you can marry them to a NP205 or use a divorced NP205 to replace the NP200.

And nobody but us will know that the M715 is anything but stock.

For reference, my M715 has 4.10s, NV4500 (0.73 OD) and 37" tires. It works really well with a 4BT. The only annoying thing is the wide jumps between gears in the NV4500.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I've already changed the gears in the pumpkins. Runs 60 fine with stock engine and straight through NP200. However your point is taken ... I'll be changing out the axles anyway to get four wheel disk. Thinking some CUCV axles from HillBilly wizard. Those work well correct?