Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sweeney : How much should sand blasting cost?

Default sweeney : How much should sand blasting cost?

How much should sand blasting cost?
    Post by sweeney on Oct 4, 2006, 4:52pm

Took the cab from my 715 to a metal shop that does sand blasting today to get an estimate. They say to take the whole cab inside and out top and bottom down to bare metal, then prime everything it will cost me about $350. Is this a decent deal? I have no idea, never paid for anything to be sandblasted or primed. The good thing about it is they could do it Friday or Monday so I could be getting the truck put back togther sooner than I thaught I would be able to.

Default 40grit :

Re: How much should sand blasting cost?
    Post by 40grit on Oct 4, 2006, 6:00pm

sounds like a good deal to me, but what kind of primer?

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Oct 4, 2006, 6:09pm

I paid $200 to have mine done, if I can remember right. That was in NC. It all depends on the the place doing it. But that is not a bad price, just make sure they clean all the sand out of the crevices before they prime.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Oct 4, 2006, 8:34pm

I had a M151 body sandblasted 10 years ago and primed and it cost $400 at that time so I think that is a good deal. I would ask what type of primer they use. The place I use has this super industrial primer that is better than paint...lol. I've seen stuff that he's blasted and primed and 5 or 6 year later it still looks good with out a top coat!

Default sweeney :

Post by sweeney on Oct 4, 2006, 9:09pm

I'm not sure what they were going to use for primer but I will ask before I have it done. The cab is primer right now with a decent amount of surface rust on it and what I think is some old POR15 on the underside. The guy I talked to owned the shop and seemed like a decent guy, deffinetly didn't seem like he was trying to rip me off. He said he could just blast the bottom of the cab, the the cowl, and behind the doors that you will see when assembled then hit all the areas with surface rust and leave the rest untouched, and that I could save $100-120 that way, but I figure if the truck is all disassembled anyway I better have the whole thing done. They do nice work and have done some metal fab stuff for my dad's company and that stuff looks real nice. The guy even said he would let me pay him $25 a month until I got it paid off cause I'm young(I'm 21) if I needed too. Glad to hear it sounds reasonable though, thanks guys.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 4, 2006, 9:35pm

$350 isn't that bad at all IMO...heck, buy the time you buy sand and rent a large enough compressor...then prime-you'd have 2/3s or more than that in it.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Oct 4, 2006, 9:42pm

sweeney,

Just a thought, but see what you think of this..

not sure about your free time or money situation, but if he's willing to spread out your payments, maybe you could work them off too...help the guy blast some other stuff, learn a skill for down the road. then it may be much easier to pop in and blast a few of your small parts every now and then, or blast some stuff for him a few days a month for extra Jeep money...

there is never enough jeep money.

might work out good for both of you...

Default sweeney :

Post by sweeney on Oct 4, 2006, 10:12pm

As of right now I have alot of free time, I'm taking time off from school and work to try to finish building my truck, I've been putting in almost the equivelent of a full work week on the Jeep the past couple weeks. As soon as it gets too cold to be working outside I will have ALOT of free time, I work on my truck in the parking lot of my parents bussiness. Money is pretty good now too, had a busy summer working, and made pretty decent money, money will be better if I can sell my non running 715 which I have been trying to unload for awhile. I had actually thaught about applying for a job at this shop once I finish my truck, or once its too cold to work on it, and work there until I go back to school. The shop is less than a mile from where I keep my Jeeps, plus I'm sure if I worked there they wold let me have access to the shop after hours to do work on my own stuff. Im not the best welder but I do what I can, so I'm not sure how excited they would be about having me work there. And I deffinetly agree there is never enough Jeep money.

Default mthomsen :

Post by mthomsen on Oct 4, 2006, 11:06pm

Thats not a bad price, there are alot of nooks, and carnnies, and the por-15 stuff might take a little to get off.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Oct 5, 2006, 9:18am

I just paid $350 to get my deuce cab done.