Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bluesman2a : Doubler X-Member

Default robertcowan :

Re: Doubler X-Member
    Post by robertcowan on Jun 7, 2006, 5:01pm

what about just using a 3/8ths steel plate and fab mounts for all the t-cases and trans mount then mounts to install it to the truck frame ? this would kill both the mount and skid plate with 1 deal.
    bob

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jun 7, 2006, 8:39pm

Quote:
    what about just using a 3/8ths steel plate and fab mounts for all the t-cases and trans mount then mounts to install it to the truck frame ? this would kill both the mount and skid plate with 1 deal.
    bob

Yep that would do it too, Bob... But for me there are several downsides talking plate vs tube:
    1) have you priced plate recently? remember I just had all this laying around.
    2) plate would need stiffening ribs, tube won't flex/sag the same way.
    3) Not all the mounting surfaces are in the same plane (Xfer's stick out below) so you would have to clearance it. Not as much work as I did, but still a PITA.
    4) Weight... This truck is by no means svelt, but I CAN lift the entire x-member myself and install it. No way you could do that with plate (a 4X4' sheet of 3/8 is almost 250 pounds, my entire assembly is approximately 30-40 without the sheet on the bottom).

I'm quite positive there are better ways to do this than what I did, but hopefully I won't be redoing this one myself!!!

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 8, 2006, 8:18pm

i wasnt knocking your work or engineering i complement you to the max. just thinking outloud. lookin good and you inspired me tremendously. thanks
    bob

Default elliott :

Post by elliott on Jun 11, 2006, 8:21am

Not only looks trick, but you can run your exhaust right through the X-member

Default pinball :

Post by pinball on Jun 11, 2006, 10:15am

I like the looks of it... the concept for sure. I might have to get me a square tube die ....thats pretty sweet. One question.... can you remove the transmission pan while it's all bolted into truck?

Nice work from what I see

NoRM

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jun 11, 2006, 12:05pm

Quote:
    i wasnt knocking your work or engineering i complement you to the max. just thinking outloud. lookin good and you inspired me tremendously. thanks
    bob

Oh I didn't take it that way at all Bob!!! I tend to be pretty hard on my work my own-self. I like "simple" on these rigs. "Simple" works, and keeps working, but complicated just lets you down every time at the worst time.

I think this project was only as complicated as it needed to be, but that's still more than I like.

And thank you sir for the kind words!

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jun 11, 2006, 12:12pm

Quote:
    I like the looks of it... the concept for sure. I might have to get me a square tube die ....thats pretty sweet. One question.... can you remove the transmission pan while it's all bolted into truck?

Careful there Norm, any place you can keep the angles in a single plane and it's all 45 or 90*, square works well. Once you get into compound angles at odd places, the round stuff is still better (there were a couple of places on this one, around the 205 mount I was wishing for round instead of square).

In answer to your question: no you can't drop the pan with this in place. But there are two factors I considered when making it that way:
    1) If you do allow to drop the pan then there is no protection for the tranny.
    2) Any flange/removable setup under the tranny would be weaker than a single piece.
    3) My tranny has a drain plug in the pan. I know it won't help with replacing the filter, but for basic maintenance, it's better than dropping the whole deal.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jun 18, 2006, 9:36pm

Got everything bolted up this weekend and started in on a couple of other projects. Here are some shots of the finished product. Note: I added another hard-mount on the PTO cover cause I wanted everything supported in the cradle, didn't think the mounting plate on the 205 alone would handle it all.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jun 18, 2006, 11:53pm

Looking good, what are you planning to use for an e brake setup? I am right behind you on this. Just finished degreasing my np and will start mocking up a transfer crossmember. I am only using one t case though. I think I've figured out how I will do things just need to decide what to do for the e brake. Fisherman

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jun 19, 2006, 8:39am

Quote:
    Looking good, what are you planning to use for an e brake setup? I am right behind you on this. Just finished degreasing my np and will start mocking up a transfer crossmember. I am only using one t case though. I think I've figured out how I will do things just need to decide what to do for the e brake. Fisherman

I've got a Mico-Lock setup for the rear discs, and I'll use it as an advanced/mechanical line-lock like heavy equipment does. Once I get some things squared away I may change the rear calipers to Caddy Eldorados for the cable actuated e-brake.